Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 31 08-06-2005 , 12:00 AM
This thing is gonna be twice as viscious when it's textured user added image

Nobody felt like avenging your death. Sorry.
# 32 08-06-2005 , 09:00 AM
Subscriber
has it been converted it to sub-D, if so check the level,
or
it could be a bad lighting situation, which reallys isn't that bad as it shows the area's that need fixing.

Dae

"I THINK, THEREFORE I AM"
René Descartes

www.mvorster.co.uk
# 33 08-06-2005 , 09:25 AM
Subscriber
I don't think there is anything wrong with the leg. Looks like a lighting effect causing the bulge at the elbows to make it look disjointed. The creature has a bit of sausage link arm going, i.e. pinched at the joints (I don't mean this as a bad thing, just an observation).

Overall I like it, just not too sure about the barrel on it's back, but I'm sure you'll put it to good use.

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."
# 34 08-06-2005 , 11:46 AM
Subscriber
Thanks for the crits and comments guys!

Dae - it's just a poly render, but yeah I threw the lighting together pretty quickly so its not great.

mhcannon & total rookie - yeah that leg needs work, it is attached, it's just got too harsh a definition on the muscle, I will fix it. The barrel on the back doesn't look quite right as it is in the pose, but I think that's again, mainly down to poor lighting (need to get a decent tutorial on this really).

I'll keep working on it, cheers!

# 35 08-06-2005 , 08:13 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by petrol
I thought it would be good for you guys to see the other half on - it's not attached yet, so ignore the harsh line down the centre.

Hey, total, just try to read the post a little better now on. user added image But, good eyes spotting it out, if petrol had not said anything about it, I wouldnt even have noticed it. Good work by the way, I cant wait to see the textured version.

# 36 20-06-2005 , 12:01 AM
Subscriber
Hopefully not long before i stop tweaking my model...

Attached Thumbnails
# 37 20-06-2005 , 12:04 AM
Subscriber
And the side view...

I've been changing the arms since the last crits, hopefully this looks a bit better. Also made other fixes with cleaning up the geometry. I'm pretty much done with modelling now, I've got to get this finished so if anyone has any quick crits, please go ahead, I'll start UV mapping tomorrow. Hope you like it - you'll have to excuse my poor lighting once again, I plan to read a couple of lighting tutorials before my final render - to get water effects.

Attached Images

Last edited by petrol; 20-06-2005 at 10:51 AM.
# 38 26-06-2005 , 01:31 AM
Perhaps you should increase the hole where the venom is sprayed just a tad. Unless you're scared the poison is too venomous and large amounts will result in strange mutation in the victim, therefore making the victim toxic to eat. user added image

You don't have to though. Just thought I'd suggest user added image

# 39 26-06-2005 , 04:14 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Shadeblade
Perhaps you should increase the hole where the venom is sprayed just a tad. Unless you're scared the poison is too venomous and large amounts will result in strange mutation in the victim, therefore making the victim toxic to eat. user added image

You don't have to though. Just thought I'd suggest user added image

Thanks for the suggestion, I think after people saying they aren't sure about it, I began to question myself, and made it a bit smaller. I've now completed the UV mapping, and am on to texturing, so I've made it a little more prominent with its markings in this area.

This is where I'm up to, basically just getting basic markings down with dodge and burn - colour changes will come later when I've added smaller details. All black areas aren't done yet user added image My first ever go with UV mapping by the way... ~6200 polys aren't very easy user added image I hope it looks ok so far. (Again... DISREGARD the yellow, I'm still thinking about colour).

# 40 26-06-2005 , 04:16 PM
Subscriber
Posting the image is a good idea really isn't it.

Attached Images

Last edited by petrol; 26-06-2005 at 04:21 PM.
# 41 26-06-2005 , 11:55 PM
Subscriber
Ok, been working on this pretty much all day, but I'm glad I've done it - great learning experience user added image

Right, I've not finished quite yet but it's beginning to take shape. I need to blend in a couple of the UV shells better, need to sort out the colour, and tweak the skin in places to look more consistant. I'll be going for a patchy looking skin, if I pull it off it should look pretty decent. Stopping here for tonight :

Attached Images
# 42 27-06-2005 , 01:03 AM

Originally posted by Shadeblade
This thing is gonna be twice as viscious when it's textured user added image

I rest my case. :nod: user added image

# 43 01-07-2005 , 08:31 AM
Subscriber
Well I'm really dissapointed. I've got fog and textures in my scene, it's looking pretty much how I wanted it, and its ready for a final post. I've been working pretty hard on this challenge for 2 months, and a storm a few nights ago here in the UK has affected my wireless broadband connection at home, it's been steadily deteriorating until finally yesterday at around 2pm it gave up the ghost, leaving me no way to be able to post my final entry. It'll be fixed by the time I get home from work - it's just typical

I'll post my finished work when i get home, I understand that it won't be counted.

Gutted

# 44 01-07-2005 , 08:52 AM
Subscriber
pity about that petrol, it was a good model, in fact all the noobs had good models.

Dae

"I THINK, THEREFORE I AM"
René Descartes

www.mvorster.co.uk
# 45 01-07-2005 , 09:31 AM
Senior Software Developer
Thats no fun...

MIKE....

MIKE....

Ah there you are!

Surely you can still allow his entry? I have no problem with this, as it was not down to his fault.

Petrol, yours was a good model and deserved to be entered. Lets see what the Man Mountain says...

Mike over to you...

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)