Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 13-02-2007 , 02:05 PM

Organic all nurbs project help

Alright in 3d animation class, we are almost done with nurbs. The last project we have to do is make a organic model from a reference image, This has to be done entirely in nurbs. So i decided to do a platapus (sp). Any help on how to get started and sugesstions would be greatly apriecated.

# 2 13-02-2007 , 02:45 PM
Senior Software Developer
Research and Image Reference.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 3 13-02-2007 , 03:50 PM

Re: Organic all nurbs project help

Originally posted by WynterNyght
Alright in 3d animation class, we are almost done with nurbs. The last project we have to do is make a organic model from a reference image, This has to be done entirely in nurbs. So i decided to do a platapus (sp). Any help on how to get started and sugesstions would be greatly apriecated.

Learn about the birail and boundary tools. They work wonders!!

Expect to excell...
# 4 13-02-2007 , 10:28 PM
do they still do the 'salty' tutorial in maya books nowadays? it shows you how to make a seal in nurbs, create a ball, light it, etc. you can take all the methods from the salty tutorial and apply them to ANY animal. start with nurbs primitives, alter said primitives, then add the things (limbs, spiny things, etc.) that you need. try a google search on salty to learn more... or hell if you DO find it, do that tutorial and submit it. it's easy and quick.

Accept no substitutions.
# 5 14-02-2007 , 06:41 AM
Yeh i think there retired good ole salty. But ill google search it anyway. Thanks for the help guys i decided to go with the 3 curve loft method for the body. Heres my refrence images and my first quick render.

Attached Thumbnails
# 6 14-02-2007 , 06:42 AM
heres the reference images, im not using the last one since its taken from under him.

Attached Images
# 7 14-02-2007 , 12:41 PM
here a update, does anyone know how i can mirror the body to make it wholeee? and attach the tail to the body?

Attached Thumbnails