Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 14-09-2009 , 03:34 AM
Subscriber

Inigo Dantez - Wolfgang

Hey All I'd like to get into this challenge. I missed the last one due to my job and didn't take my laptop with me. :angery:

I'm still putting some thought into how this character is going to look. But I'm going for an A-team style character. Maybe a little in the future than modern day.

~To create a new world through the imagination
# 2 18-09-2009 , 06:10 AM
Subscriber
While I'm still getting a handle on what this guy is going to look like I have a general idea of what I'm going for.

The A-Team style orginization this character belongs to is called Golden Dragon Expeditions. Like the A-Team they go around as Mercenaries who always take up jobs on the side of good not just for profit. Helping with Kidnappings, Getting Proof of misdeeds from evil corporations, and generally kicking bad guy butt is their M.O.

Of the five member group Inigo is the tech guy. Kind of like a combat decker from Shadowrun. He goes in on sight to retrieve data, bypass security, open doors, or make sense of technological stuff like robot parts or machinery.

While more technologically inclined he can hold his own in a fight but is better suited to a support role.

As a start I made their logo/patch and wanted to include it so everyone can get a brief idea of what I'm planning for this challenge.

Attached Thumbnails

# 3 18-09-2009 , 03:59 PM
The Maya Mountain
cool background! Looking forward to seeing more. user added image

# 4 20-09-2009 , 06:17 AM
Subscriber
Thanks for the vote of confidence MTMckinley!

Here's the very start of my guy. It took me about 6-8 hours to get this far but I'm going step by step along with a tutorial to make sure I get something decent. It's not a completed head yet since he's missing his ears and the other half of his head isn't attached but I'll get to that tomorrow.

Attached Thumbnails

# 5 20-09-2009 , 10:35 PM
The Nurb Herd
its a good start you should keep at it

do you have a wireframe you could post? it would be interesting to see, i feel the mouth is protruding a little too much.

# 6 23-09-2009 , 07:35 AM
Subscriber
Here's the wireframe hammer.horror.

Thanks for the suggestion on the mouth! I knew it looked wrong but I couldn't figure out exactly WHAT was wrong. I think my reference images might be a little off. I'll keep playing with it as I get the ears on and see if I can't make 'em look better.

Attached Thumbnails

# 7 23-09-2009 , 08:22 AM
The Nurb Herd
i think a lot of the time reference images can be off, because of the lens used and distance from the camera. if the subject is close to the camera there can be warping.

maybe try duplicating the head have the two side by side. Then just push the corner of the mouth in a bit with soft selection on, see if it looks better, you could use the sculpt geometry tool on smooth a tiny bit to average out the mesh in places.

soft selection shortcut is B on the keyboard, hold B and the middle mouse button to increase and decrease the fall off.

# 8 23-09-2009 , 09:20 PM
Subscriber
also may want to do something about that five sided and the 3 sided faces

nice work so far user added image

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 9 25-09-2009 , 05:39 AM
Subscriber
Thanks Hammer and Chiron for the advice! It turns out that five sider was part of where the ear would merge with the head so it was easier to resolve. I also took care of some of the three siders as well.

I also took in the lips a little bit since they were sticking so far out and it looks much better. I've completed the ear and duplicated the head and merged it. But now I have a funny line. I've merged all the verts and tried to create a line on either side and delete the middle line. However I keep getting an error about not being able to delete borders. Here is an update as I start on a more familiar part and start working the body as I fine tune the head.

Attached Thumbnails

# 10 25-09-2009 , 10:46 PM
Subscriber
i thought you had different materials on each side of the head... this isn't true?

how did you duplicate?
duplicate special with a negative scale and then freeze transformations?
if so then reverse the normals.
in the panel menu check Lighting > Two sided lighting to off
that way the back of faces will show up black and it will be easier to tell when your normals aren't agreeing with each other.
if your inital merge fails and you have a distinct line than can't be resolved by soften edge then something went wrong

how i do a 'mirror merge' is to...
not use mirror geometry because whenever i used it, it would sometimes do funny things... (although that was when i first started so i might have had some settings wrong)
duplicate special with a negative scale (or just duplicate and then give it a negative scale)
combine the pieces (i just hit the shelf icon but i think its in mesh > combine)
select a whole lot of verts,
merge vertices with a very low tolerance
if needed then grab the edge loop that was in the middle and soften edge

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 11 26-09-2009 , 09:08 AM
Subscriber
Hey Chirone those steps fixed the problem! I've added that to my 'stuff I shouldn't forget' notes for Maya. Thanks!

Here is another quick update on Dantez. His boots! The raised parts are supposed to be a different type of leather which I hope to make a little more apparent during the texturing phase of the project. Also the lines going up the inside part of the boots is for a zipper which I'll model a little more of as I add shoestrings and the other little details.

Attached Thumbnails

# 12 30-09-2009 , 06:52 AM
Subscriber
Just wanted to update my challenge real quick on my progress and get some advice from the boardmembers on a little snag I have. I've been trying to get the area around the shoulders right and seem to be making a mess of things. I've attached the smooth render and a wireframe. Even though the legs and torso will be clothed I want to make sure I get them right. The legs aren't finished though. There are a few lines that end in five/three sided polys. My biggest concern is the shoulder/peck area.

But as soon as I fix that then its time to finish the arms, neck then start the pants, harness, and the other odds and ends to give him a more military/A-team style feel.user added image

Attached Thumbnails

# 13 30-09-2009 , 06:56 AM
Subscriber
and the wireframe

Attached Thumbnails

# 14 08-10-2009 , 07:20 AM
Subscriber
Hopefully the last update on the 'base' model before adding in detail. I've redone the torso and broke it up so I can start making the clothing and other details.

Attached Thumbnails

# 15 11-10-2009 , 02:13 AM
Subscriber
Just a quick update, finished most of the bottom. The boots, kneepads, belt and thigh drop plates (to hold his side arm, and a few other knicknacks) and added some wrinkles and pockets to the pants.

Attached Thumbnails