Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 11-04-2003 , 05:42 AM

need help with water drop

I have to do a water drop that collides with a surface (a simple plane). I have an ideea how to do this a have used a sphere (soft body) and a plane(a rigid body) and I have maked them colide, but the result is not so convincing. Maybe some of you could help me in doing some of this. Please help me if you can. I am a newbie in this field area so, any advice will be good, or maybe you know a good tutorial for achieving this.

# 2 11-04-2003 , 02:45 PM
Well, if it is just a "hero" droplet, I would try blend-shapes.

So as it hits the water, you can blend to a psuedo-squashed version of the drop geometry, then you can also make the "hero" drop an emitter for other smaller instanced/animated droplets that break off of the main droplet on impact.

Also, there are also a few GREAT melscripts on Highend that will help you achive the "drop" look on the plane if that might be what you are trying to achive.
(for the "expanding-rings" stuff IF you need that) user added image

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 3 14-04-2003 , 05:17 AM
I have done a kind an animation for the drop using this tehnique, maybe it will help others:

1. I have crested the body of the drop
2. I have atached a latice to it
3. I have selected the latice and transform it into a soft Body
4. I atached a gravity field to the latice
5. And wrote a mel expresion that controls the position of the latices points in space.

And using this loks like but it isn't so convining. I have used a nurbs plane for the floor and a nurbs object that I myself created it for the drop.

Can you give me more details about how I can make the "hero" drop an emitter for other smaller instanced/animated droplets that break off of the main droplet on impact ? It's interesting to see ...

# 4 18-04-2003 , 11:00 PM
i`ve made some rain for a project ... here is a preview ... if you like it just let me know so i can guide you ... but beware this example make use of advanced expresion and MEL

Last edited by xr1140; 18-04-2003 at 11:03 PM.
# 5 20-04-2003 , 08:55 PM

pt. Sanctuary

Mane sa tra esti un meserias ...... Ma bucur sa vad ca romanii nostrii ne ajuta .... abia astept sa vad site-ul tau ....... Iti multumesc foarte mult cred ca o sa-mi fie de mare ajutor ....... Daca voi mai avea probleme te mai pot deranja cu intrebari ??????

# 6 20-04-2003 , 09:07 PM
:S

# 7 20-04-2003 , 10:46 PM
@creaminds

anytime pal ... and let`s keep it in english user added image

my site it`s offline ATM

# 8 21-04-2003 , 02:14 AM
Sureuser added image

Simply select your "hero" drop, and go to:

PARTICLES > EMIT FROM OBJECT

Then you can use mel, or simply key the imitter to emit Instances of smaller softbody blobs, or just S|W BLOBBY particles for easier useuser added image

Good luck!

PS - Check out the docs for how to emit from a surface/object.
Pretty simpleuser added image

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 9 21-04-2003 , 02:20 AM
The Effects Dude to the rescue! :p