Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 20-02-2005 , 01:37 AM

First Car: Nissan 350Z

This is the first car i actually used references for(and man did it make a difference) but heres what i have so far...

It needs side mirrors and thats about it. But theres some problems here and there. My front, side, and top references didnt match up as much as i hoped.

It was all modeled in Polys, then converted to subd, then some creasing here and molding there. I have no clue as what to do with texturing but i made this model for animation purposes... it just came out a lot better than i expected.

Attached Thumbnails

# 2 20-02-2005 , 01:39 AM
Side View:

Attached Thumbnails

# 3 20-02-2005 , 01:45 AM
Back View:

Note the front driver window looks weird because i havent decided if i want to put the rear view mirror in yet.

Attached Thumbnails

# 4 20-02-2005 , 04:43 AM
if you had aimed for photo realism its a lot outta propotion ...... id say if you dont do texures just have some shaders or normal textures on it so tht it could be more visable and clean

https://www.imageocean.net/
Free Photo Hosting!
# 5 20-02-2005 , 07:05 AM
Subscriber
Looks nice, but I don't understand how it could be out of proportion if he used refernces.

I'm not a geek. I'm a nerd.

msn - g1842@hotmail.com
I'm up for a chat anytime.
# 6 20-02-2005 , 05:34 PM
The tires and rims look wayyy to small. The car looks great though!!!

# 7 20-02-2005 , 07:40 PM
You need to make the edges around the headlights, tailights, etc a lot sharper. The 350z's shape comes from a lot of sharp angles. Right now your car looks more like a fat Porsche 911. The proportions seem right to me though, just need to tinker with the edges.

I Can't Understand What I'm Thinking
# 8 20-02-2005 , 09:48 PM
Supra: I think with references it should be in proportion... What exactly looks out of proportion?

Dimazz: The rims are stock 15's but with low profile tires. I should put generic tires on it then it would look as its sapposed to. But for the animation i plan on doing, the low profiles would be better. But apon more carfull observation i think the wheel wells are a little oversize on the opening. That could be fixed easy and would fix the proportion problem.

Mr Bojangles: This was a fast render, Normally i seperate out the headlights and taillights, Full crease the edges and the inside verts which result in a tighter angle. But i got lazy on the render(girlfriend was pressing me for time).

Ill redo the render and fix some of those edges. Hopefully i can fix it all up with textures and creases.

# 9 21-02-2005 , 01:05 AM
i was talking bout da headlights n da tires but u explained all

https://www.imageocean.net/
Free Photo Hosting!
# 10 23-02-2005 , 09:10 PM
I think i fixed the headlights and the tires... Fixed the edges on the tailights(they needed to be sharp edges. I had them softer.

I decided to just put bigger rims on it. Even though the ones i had were stock you never see 350s with stock... So i put what would be probably 18" on it. With a little bigger tires.

The lights i tweaked a little bit. Makes it render better as it had some edge problems witht he car mesh.

I still have a problem texturing... What/how should i texture this to make it look at least a little car like?

Attached Thumbnails

# 11 23-02-2005 , 11:57 PM
Simply Maya OG
You need more of a shine/reflective layer on it. Its too dull for a car. It looks like its really old right now. Also, the rims would prolly look alot better if they were chrome. One last thing, put a intercooler/radiator in it. You can see right thru the front bumber. user added image

- Hybrid
# 12 24-02-2005 , 12:05 AM
Lol, Hybrid:

The paint, Trying to figure out how to make car paint. Ive left a few notes on some peoples stuff asking them. And ive experimented. If youde care to tell me it would save time.

Chrome: Dont know how to make chrome. Care to share? I also still need to put the lugs on it.

I was going to make a vent, webbing thing there. But havent thought of a way to make it yet. And hope to do it with textures. i just need to learn how.

Anything else?

# 13 24-02-2005 , 06:34 AM
might be a bit of a danger on the road without indicators or mirrorsuser added image

could be a bitch to open too, having no door handles...

# 14 24-02-2005 , 08:16 PM
The only turn signal lights i found on my reference was in the back. and they are there. Ill check see where they are in the front. Wont be a problem to add them.

Side mirrors. Im not sure if i want to put them on. not that i dont think i can or im lazy. I just dont like them and dont want them on my car... But i might think about it.

I plan on adding door handles after i:

-Fix the textures
-Sort out the parts to easily switch to non stock parts
then put them in when im rigging it.

# 15 24-02-2005 , 10:24 PM
Subscriber
for just a quick idea of what real paint should look like just turn on ray tracing in your render globals window for settings. it will give the body reflections, and that gives it a bit of depth, anything beyond that, do a search on the forum or grab a tutorial off the net, there are tons.

furthermore, the shape of your headlights is waay off, here is a pic of what they should look like
user added image
and from experience, if you are too lazy to do the handles and mirrors now, once you get the paint the way you want it you will find it even harder to go back and continue the model.

also, the front signals are pictured, they are orange and in the front bumper

Last edited by Turbo Dan; 24-02-2005 at 10:27 PM.