Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 10-09-2006 , 02:46 PM
Acid44

im really a newb

i just got maya today of my friend and i cant figure anything out exept makining the offered objects an fur and stuff :headbang:

if someone could tell me how to make other types of objects like custom stuff and box modling (if available) or even a link to a pdf format tutorial that would be well appreiciated:attn:

Last edited by Acid44; 10-09-2006 at 02:48 PM.
# 2 10-09-2006 , 02:48 PM
Subscriber
Hey i would try the free dog tutorial it helps alot for noobs it was good for me at the time. user added image enjoy.

A great mod for Jedi academy www.moviebattles.com

Computer Rig-

64-bit vista
23.5 inch LCD + a 19 inch
Q6600 intell qaud
4 gigs of ddr2 ram
8800GTS 512 video card @700mhz
# 3 10-09-2006 , 03:46 PM
Acid44
is there box modeling cause that would be great to know before i was useing the anim8or program wich is like the lowest end free software and that had box modeling so i got really good at that but if maya has it then i got whole new reason to liveuser added image

# 4 10-09-2006 , 10:36 PM
Senior Software Developer
My advice would be press F1 in Maya and go through the tutorials they provide first, then move onto the SM ones. Try the one mentioned above and also the Cartoon Dog one (thats Free).

Theres are 100's of free tutorials on the web and on this site that take you through the basics of Maya. Its a big uphill learning curve from a free modelling app to Maya.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 5 10-09-2006 , 11:59 PM
What's box modelling? Something to do with using primatives?

# 6 11-09-2006 , 12:17 AM
Subscriber
An old term for polygon modelling, basically starting with a box and extruding, splitting, etc

If you believe in telekinesis, raise my right hand.
# 7 11-09-2006 , 12:31 AM
j5ive, thanks for enlightening me. In my two limited years of being involved in 3D graphics I have never heard of this term.

acid44, yes, Maya has polygonal modelling, which I what I'm using to model a temple complex.

Taking of big learning curves when I moved from Bryce to Maya ealier this year I fell over. There are more buttons, settings and a thousand other things than on a 747.

# 8 11-09-2006 , 07:50 AM
Acid44
thanx guys for all the help:bow: ill try to start something now :attn:

# 9 11-09-2006 , 07:54 AM
Senior Software Developer

Originally posted by The Architect
There are more buttons, settings and a thousand other things than on a 747.

LOL...

Maya may look really bad to start wih. Hell when I first looked at Maya I closed it down and wept for a week user added image . Not now tho... After a few step by step tutes I am away and running. I have been using Maya for just under 10 months. So there is hope for us all

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)