Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 24-10-2006 , 12:42 PM
Acid44

maya vs. unreal engine

my ex girlfriends brother does cg and he started in maya went to max and then to inreal engine...

my question is -is unreal engine better than maya in any way im just pondering cause my school is looking to dumo 3ds max for something else and theyre taking suggestions...:p

# 2 24-10-2006 , 01:16 PM
Subscriber
yea, the Unreal engine is Uber cool.
it can read thoughts !!!
maya just got 0wn3d,
and max is gettign some serious pwnage

# 3 24-10-2006 , 02:01 PM
Acid44
is unreal engine just for games or is it for scenes too?

# 4 26-10-2006 , 11:54 PM
The Unreal Engine is not a 3d modelling package, altough it includes tools to modify models. It is a piece of software that coordinates all the innerworkings of 3d visualization, audio, and input control to produce an interactive 3d experience. Or in other terms, it's the guts of a game & the tools used to modify the content from 3d packages to fit the needs of the game.

The Unreal Editor (UnrealEd) is a pure “What You See Is What You Get” content creation tool filling the void between 3D Studio Max and Maya, and shippable game content.

Unreal provides plug-ins for 3D Studio Max and Maya to bring models into the Unreal engine with mesh topology, mapping coordinates, smoothing groups, material names, skeleton structure, and skeletal animation data. Including fully integrated source control, so that artists and level designers can check out content packages, modify, and check in from within the editor.

...and that is how I saved the world.
# 5 27-10-2006 , 02:48 PM
Acid44
.... i see?...

# 6 28-10-2006 , 12:14 AM

Originally posted by vladimirjp
yea, the Unreal engine is Uber cool.
it can read thoughts !!!
maya just got 0wn3d,
and max is gettign some serious pwnage

Lol!!

my ex girlfriends brother does cg and he started in maya went to max and then to inreal engine...

my question is -is unreal engine better than maya in any way im just pondering cause my school is looking to dumo 3ds max for something else and theyre taking suggestions...

They are really not comparable at all... Maya is a standalone app that is used for many different things. Unreal Ed is used for Editing Unreal models and creating game content etc (ASFAIK). You cannot compare them.

user added image
A

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB