Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 03-01-2003 , 09:18 PM
Subscriber

Best books ?

Good evening,

I wanted to know which book about maya is the best at this time ?
Forget the "all-levels" books that overviews the subject :argue:

Today man, tomorrow bird...i already have the plumage
# 2 03-01-2003 , 10:29 PM
Subscriber
Howdy. I used Mastering Maya 3 (now they have one for v.4 called Maya Savvy or somethin like that) and it was good for the intermediate. I just bought Learning Maya 4 for a class I am taking this upcoming semester and looks like its made for someone completely new to maya.

- Chris L. Harkins -
# 3 03-01-2003 , 10:50 PM
There is no "best" book. It really depends on the type of work you want to do, how you work, how much you can spend, etc. I personally don't think any of the Maya-specific books are all that good. They all have some good information in them, but none of them are hands-down the best books.

Danny Ngan
Animator | Amaze Entertainment
my website | my blog | my job
# 4 04-01-2003 , 07:52 AM
Subscriber
Ok, my question wasn't accurate enough.

Let's say : level intermediate/advanced, more focused on texturing...I ask the question because i can't find good books treating Maya in French.

Today man, tomorrow bird...i already have the plumage
# 5 04-01-2003 , 09:21 AM
have the mastering book and it was a good survey of maya's features- not just intro.

Just a hobby but the help is appreciated!
# 6 04-01-2003 , 06:59 PM
Subscriber
Texturing... You know... I have not seen any book or website dedicated to Maya texturing, though there really should be. There is really a lack of learning material on texturing... (hint hint SM staff!) user added image

- Chris L. Harkins -
# 7 04-01-2003 , 11:42 PM
Inspired 3D Modeling and Texture Mapping by Tom Capizzi is the only recent book I know of that deals specifically with texturing in Maya. The concepts in the book are universal, but the examples are all done in Maya and Photoshop (and a couple of Deep Paint samples). It is an expensive book, though -- $60 (US) with no CD (file available for download on the website). I'm also not sure if they have localized versions of the book yet. I've got the English version sitting right here. user added image

Danny Ngan
Animator | Amaze Entertainment
my website | my blog | my job