Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 91 15-09-2004 , 07:36 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Hey JS
Looks good. I got your PM but posted back but I think I was a bit late on the reply. Anyway heres an idea, stick a translucence map on the fleshy bits hanging from the back of his head so the light creeps thru the skin like when you put a torch up against your fingers or the back of your ear. The things I do for research.......

_J

# 92 18-09-2004 , 10:04 PM
Lifetime Member
Thanks Jango , but I am really not happy with it at all.I have come to the conclusion that I need to learn a lot more about texturing before attempting it again ...lol
I am rigging the character right now just for the experience but I will probably not submit it as an entry and just finish it in my own time. Thankyou to all those that have posted helpful comments.

# 93 19-09-2004 , 05:53 AM
Subscriber
but it is in or close to a finished state. Nothing to gain buy not submitting it for the final. But it helps the site when you submite it for the final. Helps show theres more intrest in the challanges. Besides I don't think your textureing on it is that bad at all. You did a lot of good work with what you had, its a good thing.

# 94 19-09-2004 , 10:34 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Hey Js
Yeah I agree with Pony on this. You have got this far for this challenge why back off now dude. I get frustrated too with stuff, as I'm sure most guys n gals here do also, but thats also the challenge.

If it was easy everyone would be doing it, wouldn't they?! We are all part of this elite group of people who model texture and animate this stuff and make others go WOW!!

Have a break from it for a day or two, it will be alot better then I guarantee it!!!

Best Regards
_J

# 95 19-09-2004 , 03:06 PM
Subscriber
no dont go, take a break as Jango said, its good to take a break now and then, whatever you do dont give up, I know exactly how you feel (I am sure Jango, Pony and many others have felt like that at some point), the textures are fine they work with your character, when you come back from your break work on the environment instead as it might help with what ever else you got to do for your character.

see you when you get back.

Daeuser added image

"I THINK, THEREFORE I AM"
René Descartes

www.mvorster.co.uk
# 96 24-09-2004 , 08:40 AM
Lifetime Member
I decided to have a little play with it and threw this togehter to se what it might look like in a background

Attached Thumbnails
# 97 24-09-2004 , 09:45 AM
Subscriber
coolness. How is the background made ? He looks right at home there.

# 98 24-09-2004 , 10:46 AM
Lifetime Member
Thanks pony ..the background is really simple, it's just a poly plane with 6 or 7 poly cubes randomly shaped and half a poly sphere. the sphere has a jungle image mapped to it and the rest is all done with lighting.Two point lights with a green texture mapped to the colour and a couple of directional lights.
I will probably improve the background a little and if I ever get him skinned pose him a little better if I have the time.

# 99 24-09-2004 , 11:47 AM
Subscriber
thumbs up from me mate, cool!

MURPH
# 100 24-09-2004 , 11:51 PM
U R going good guns JSprogg!!! I like the setting where he's in!:tup:

Darkness Falls... From Where???
# 101 25-09-2004 , 06:24 AM
Lifetime Member
Had a play around with the background textures and added a little fog.

Attached Thumbnails
# 102 25-09-2004 , 08:02 AM
Subscriber
oh damn.. now theres a contender.
great job.. and you got plunty of time.

# 103 25-09-2004 , 08:32 AM
Looking cool, I think you just need to add some shadows and it'll be perfect.

# 104 26-09-2004 , 01:21 PM
Subscriber
Jsprogg... So much doubt in your texturing skills. You have just proven yourself wrong in my oppinion. The lizard and scene is absolutly fantastic. I can understand if we sometimes see great potential but lack in execution, and that we all always want to do better and improve ourselves. Evolution is a good thing after all.

But to never feel proud of anything one does is no good.
I often have to remind myself of a good mantra:
"I can't expect to go from nowhere to somewhere without the inbetween." That applies for me.

If you have no texturing skills then Mozart can't play the piano.
Keep up the good work.

Matt

Currently working on reclaiming Space
The Salvation Prophecy
# 105 26-09-2004 , 06:47 PM
Lifetime Member
I did this render and think it's close to a final render , but then I realized i rendered the low poly version instead of the smoothed ..lol..ah well

Attached Thumbnails