Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 16-09-2007 , 01:55 AM

Problem with imported DXF/DWG Geomentry

Hey,

I've got Maya 8.5 and I've imported a 3D-geometries from ArchiCAD/AutoCAD as DXF/DWG. The whole mesh consists of triangles. Thats not the prob at all. It looks like it is a bit deformed.
There's also a new default shader (green). If I try to use my own shaders the pollies went transparent.

I've just tried to quandrangulate but the problem stays.

Can anybody help please?

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 16-09-2007 , 04:27 AM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
Maybe the model hasn't got any uv's or Maya doesn't know how to applie them on a 3d model.
Select the model and go to create uv's in the polygon menu set and click on automatic mapping.

# 3 17-09-2007 , 01:00 AM
Yeah, it worked. Thanks.

But there are still these ugly deformations on the surface. Do you've got an idea how to correct this simply ? Or is it to complex?

Attached Images
# 4 17-09-2007 , 02:07 AM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
Laying out uv's can be quite a tedious task and to my personal experience it isn't easy.
In the create uv's menu in the polygon preset there are a lot of projectionmethods available to you.
If your model lines up with the x-y-z axis i would rather use planar projections instead of automatic mapping(i only said it to you to look if it would work).
Select the faces along the x -axis and do a planarproject along x.
Repeat the same for y and z -axis.
I recommend using a texture with numbers so you can look if textures are stretched or flipped.
If you need further instruction on laying out uv's i would recommend first of all press f1 while your in maya, second i would suggest that you buy a book on texturing or third download a tutorial here or elsewhere on the internet on texturing.
I wish you the best of luck mateuser added image
(ps i've attached an image that you can use as a texture for laying out uv's)

Attached Images
# 5 17-09-2007 , 02:30 AM
Jr.Who
Try hardening the faces. Go to Normals>Soft/Harden>Options and click All Hard.
user added image

# 6 18-09-2007 , 09:48 PM
Thanks a lot.

I tried both in combination and it worked.