Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 05-11-2007 , 06:40 AM

Swil - Winter Challenge

Hi everybody,

I've been admiring everybody's work a long time in the various challenges and I'm not sure if I'm going to be even a start of a match. I'm a total noob when it comes to modelling, have little time, but thought this challenge is so much fun and gives plenty of time that I'm going to give it a try.

I'm not an artist so I'm not going to try to sketch a concept, but this is the idea: the sports I'm going to focus on is golf. The players are a bit unusual though. I want to model the white rabbit from Alice in Wonderland as the player. A hedgehog is going to take the ball-role.

So, plenty of modelling and texturing challenges and also some fun animation possibilities. I'm not sure if I even can do this, but hey, no guts, no glory !

Good luck everybody !

# 2 05-11-2007 , 09:46 AM
Subscriber
You definitely got the right attitude Swil. Plus we all are here to help you with whatever problem you may face.
I think your idea is cool, I can almost imagine the expression on that rabbit's face when the hedgehog deliberately miss the hole on a birdie. But, instead of that rabbit can you use that rabbit from Foster's home for imaginary friends. What do you think? user added image
I Know you will have fun doing this Challenge, don't get discouraged. Just do your best and use what ever knowledge you have. I promise you, you will learn ALOT more along the way.

# 3 06-11-2007 , 04:07 AM
Hi RockyMills - this Mr. Herriman from imaginary friend looks like a cool figure. I'm downloading some episodes to get a feel for the character. Definitely like his outfit. Perhaps I'll do a hibrid on the two.

Good luck with your stadium concept. Sounds great. Looking forward to see some first results.

# 4 06-11-2007 , 08:47 AM
OK, here's my first attempt for the main character: the Alice in Wonderland white rabbit or Mr. Herriman - it can go either way.

Still a lot of work to be done. It's the basic shape and I want to get it more fun-looking. Basic posing to be done as well.

Anyway, it's a start. I'm open to C&C.

Attached Images
# 5 11-11-2007 , 05:45 PM
Found some time to add more detail.

Let me know what you think

Attached Thumbnails
# 6 11-11-2007 , 06:41 PM
The Maya Mountain
pretty cool! His chin seems a bit odd at the moment

# 7 12-11-2007 , 07:53 AM
Yeah, I know. I used attached picture to do the base modelling, but now I'm starting to think about switching to a more cartoon style approach. What do you think ?

Attached Images
# 8 12-11-2007 , 11:20 PM
19 year Veteran
Very nice work for a noob Swil! user added image You will go far in this comp if you keep at it!

# 9 13-11-2007 , 05:48 AM
Thanks THX1138 - unexpectedly I now have more time for a while, so with the long duration of this competition I'll go for it. Still a lot of discovering to do for me, though

# 10 14-11-2007 , 02:07 PM
OK, I added some more detail on which I want to do some texturing experiments. New chapter for me, so we'll see what's going to happen.

Not sure yet if I want to do cloth or not user added image

Open to feedback guys !

Attached Images
# 11 16-11-2007 , 01:31 PM
I decided to go for the cloth-thing to dress up my main character. Created the jacket. I have to say it was quite a discovery-tour to figure out how the texturing mechanism works, but I'm pretty happy with the result :attn: .
Still needs some tweaking here and there.

C&C please.

Attached Images

Last edited by Swil; 19-11-2007 at 07:36 PM.
# 12 17-11-2007 , 08:59 AM
Put some color on the shoes user added image

Now have to start working on texturing the body. Not sure how to do that user added image

Attached Images
# 13 19-11-2007 , 05:56 PM
I created the first version of the hedgehog. Need to get some prickles on the the little guy user added image

Attached Images
# 14 19-11-2007 , 09:12 PM
nice work there swil user added image the texture on the jacket looks good.

# 15 20-11-2007 , 07:44 PM
Thanks s2-speedy ! In the mean time I have put the jacket on the rabbit. I'm now experimenting with toon-shading on the rabbit. I'm starting to get an idea how the final thing should look like. Perhaps I'll do a full animation - if that's allowed. Not sure if I will have the time though :p