Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 22-04-2009 , 08:14 PM

Format help

How can I save or turn a maya model into an object, I joined a team and we are currently creating add-ons for a game, I am the models person and I new to turn the file into file.obj because they are using milkshape, or Blender.

# 2 22-04-2009 , 08:42 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
First you have to enable the obj exporter in the plugin manager then use the export as from the file menu

# 3 22-04-2009 , 09:21 PM
I'm in the manger but there isn't any Obj exporters i can load D:
I have a mac and it might be different.

# 4 22-04-2009 , 10:36 PM
Window> Settings/Preferences> Plug-in Manager. Tick the check boxes for objExport.mll

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."
# 5 22-04-2009 , 11:52 PM
Thing is I don't have it, is that normal?

# 6 23-04-2009 , 01:41 AM
Doesn't seem normal but I don't know anything about the differences between PC/MAC versions. I take it if you're using this to create/output assets, you're not using a PLE version.....this is a longshot but you could try to download Maya Bonus tools from autodesk's area section for whatever version you have on the off chance they stuck it in there...should be standard with the stock install, though.

https://area.autodesk.com/index.php/d.../plugins_list/

You sure you scrolled down the entire list of plugins and didn't see it? Should be around 3/4 of the way down.

# 7 23-04-2009 , 07:13 AM
Please post the EXACT version of maya you are using.

The obj plugin has gone through several instantiations depending on the version of maya you have.

After autodesk took over they apparently decided to scuttle objexp to foist their own fbx format on everyone.

I currently am using maya 2009 unlimited and I have both the fbxexport and objexport mlls, but I can swear that some earlier versions just after autodesk took control the objexporter disappeared.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 8 23-04-2009 , 08:35 AM

Originally posted by ctbram
but I can swear that some earlier versions just after autodesk took control the objexporter disappeared.

Nah its always been in there, otherwise no one could have done anything in Zbrush without it, and that, well would have caused an uproar.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 9 23-04-2009 , 09:37 AM
Sorry. There has been a problem in maya nurbs modelling since maya 3.0. You had to export and re-import to fix it. I thought it was obj but it is fxb.

apparently it was version 8.5 where it was removed. Here is part of an old post I made....

==========old post==================

Back when nurbs were in fasion a common problem with maya cv curves and nurbs surfaces was that sometimes their parameterization would become wonky.

An example would be taking a nurbs patch and cutting it into smaller patches and the parameterization say was 3 by 4 in uv and you split it into 2 3 by 2 patches. The parameterization of the new patches in v would not go from 0 to 2 as you would expect.

Now you could rebuild the surfaces but this would shift the isoparms effecting the new surface and every surface they come in contact with and if you are building a model with hundred of patches this could turn into a bloody nightmare!

In the old days the way to fix this was to export the nurbs surface in dxf and then import it back into the scene. This would some how correct the parameterization and NOT shift the isoparms.

However since Autodesk has taken over maya in version 8.5 the old dxf exprt is no longer available and now their is only the fxb export which does not fix the problem like the dxf export did.

So it was dxf that I was thinking of and as I look at maya 2009 they still do not have dxf export anymore which really BORKS nurbs modeling because I have confirmed the parameterization bug still remains!

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 23-04-2009 at 10:07 AM.
# 10 23-04-2009 , 08:32 PM
Oh now its really helpful. Its called FXB?

on and i have v8.5 and i also believe i have found it, is it called "FXBmaya.bundle"? I can also see that it had been checked on, but how do i convert the file to OBJ.?

Last edited by Balloonhead3; 23-04-2009 at 08:38 PM.
# 11 23-04-2009 , 08:51 PM
No. obj and and fxb are different things. Comp together a screenshot showing all the plugins in your plugin manager so we can take a look.

# 12 23-04-2009 , 10:37 PM
My bad! I took you on a side track.

Do as Ni suggests. Open your plugin manager and grab and post a screenshot so we can see the plugins you have.

Sorry to go off on a tangent fbx and dxf two completely different things then obj.

Last edited by ctbram; 23-04-2009 at 10:43 PM.
# 13 23-04-2009 , 10:44 PM
I checked and for v8.5 on the mac you should be looking for something that looks like this...

Attached Thumbnails

# 14 24-04-2009 , 07:28 PM
Oh shiz, I do not have it D: can I download it somewhere? ehehehe, what if i have a learning edition ? D:

ooops

Last edited by Balloonhead3; 24-04-2009 at 08:18 PM.