Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 27-04-2009 , 06:37 PM

Best way to do shoulders???

Say, is there a tutorial that shows a simple way to do the shoulders. I'm having problems with its deformation when animated. Looking for a simple way to keep it's looks at extreme positions. (like fully raised).

Thx for any help!

# 2 27-04-2009 , 07:39 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
Best way to do shoulders is by modeling them, because then you can lay out uv's texture them and it will deform.
LOL

Organic modeling is all about understanding the muscles beneat the skin and edgeflow, so buy an anatomy book
and keep practicing.

next time post an image so people can give you some solid advice, you will get better at modeling if you do so

user added image

# 3 27-04-2009 , 08:10 PM
Sorry i guess i wasn't very specific.
Screenshots:
Here is the model at neutral pose:

user added image

Here what i want to avoid:

user added image

user added image

Thx for any help.

# 4 27-04-2009 , 08:23 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
you will need to paint weights for the deformation to stabilise. The shoulders are one of the hardest areas to work on a rig because of the diversity in the rotations...just take your time

Jay

# 5 27-04-2009 , 08:33 PM
Is there a more simple way?? I think i saw once they using a small poly object to keep the knee undeformed, but i don't remember how they did it.

# 6 27-04-2009 , 08:40 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Yes those are influence objects. Mainly for knees and elbow type joints. You still have to paint weights to get good results though regardless. There are no perfect shortcuts in rigging...

check the maya help on influence objects

Jay

# 7 27-04-2009 , 09:25 PM
Thx, i will try that way.