Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 15-07-2003 , 12:08 PM

Antenna nodding

Hi there,

I guess this is kind of trivial but I can't get it right ... I have a robot character walking and want to add a natural looking antenna nodding as he walks along. OK, I can give it some bones and keyframe it, but is there a way to use dynamics for it? Softbody maybe?

Any help is appreciated and I will post the result afterwards user added image

# 2 16-07-2003 , 10:33 AM
Subscriber
you name it - softbody is the way to go if you ask me. but you have to paint the weights - the default weights are likely to look not like an antenna. and possibly adding springs to your soft body, so it stays stiff and connected ..

# 3 16-07-2003 , 11:41 AM
Pretty hard to control if you have a detailed geometry with all the resulting particles and springs ... but I found a way: I create a rough approximation of my antenna, make it a soft body (no springs) and use the soft body as a smooth proxy for the real antenna. If I animate the original (non soft, non smoothed) object, the smoothed geometry does pretty much what I want.

Thanks duck user added image