Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 03-02-2003 , 10:43 AM

dannyUvTools -- MEL for UV layout

Those of you who have been on IRC know that I've been spending a lot of time working on a UV layout script. Well, it's finally done -- at least, I'm calling it done for now. You can find out more about the script and my UV layout process here:

https://www.dannyngan.com/mel_dannyuvtools.htm

Please feel free to download the scripts and break them. Post any feedback that you may have here in this thread or find me on the SimplyMaya IRC channel. I've tested the scripts a lot, but I definitely can't test all possibilities. Any help would be appreciated.

OK, now I can sleep. user added image

Danny Ngan
Animator | Amaze Entertainment
my website | my blog | my job
# 2 03-02-2003 , 10:52 AM
Nice one! I'll have a look later when I get home...

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 3 03-02-2003 , 04:48 PM
DUDE! GREAT work man!

When I get home, I'm gettin it!

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 4 05-02-2003 , 02:29 PM
SM Tea Boy
Very nice Danny user added image

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 5 05-02-2003 , 02:31 PM
Kevin
handsome stuff danny.... can we post them in the mel area when we add our upload feature?

# 6 05-02-2003 , 04:04 PM
The Maya Mountain
Hey, danny, MEL looks really nice. user added image

I was wondering what the differences would be between your MEL script and the Automatic Mapping option? More control?

Just curious. Looks great!

# 7 05-02-2003 , 05:54 PM
Thanks Mike!

The difference is more control. With automatic mapping, you have to manually set the breaking angle, and that can yield some undesirable results. I know many people who start with automatic mapping and then clean up from there, and that works for them. I, personally, like to get my UV shells set the way I want them from the get-go instead of having Maya make those decisions for me. Also, I can control the number of individual shells that get mapped initially. With automatic mapping, you can nearly as many shells as you have faces, which is very unmanageable. With my method of mapping, I can limit the number of shells.

It's all about control. user added image

Danny Ngan
# 8 07-03-2003 , 09:24 AM
Quick update to the scripts. Kbrown wrote a nice additional script to speed things up even more. He actually did it quite a while ago, but I've only just now gotten around to adding it to the package.

You can download the scripts here:

https://www.dannyngan.com/mel_dannyuvtools.htm

(BTW, KB, I renamed the script and the proc to keep with my overall naming conventions. Still works the same way though. user added image )

Danny Ngan
# 9 12-11-2003 , 01:53 AM
Don't know if this means anything, but a "new" script was uploaded to Highend here:
https://www.highend3d.com/maya/mel/?s...rendering#2638

Called "Get Material".

Sound familliar?

It does the same as yours does.

Just wanted ya to know in case some a$$ whoopin was in order in some wayuser added image

Israel "Izzy" Long
izzylong.com
# 10 12-11-2003 , 04:33 AM
Yeah, I saw that. No biggie. I'm not the first one to write a get material script. Hell, I got most of the script for that section from Bryan Ewert's site to begin with. If you want to do an a$$ whoopin', be my guest. user added image

Danny Ngan
# 11 13-11-2003 , 03:32 AM
hehe.. nah, I'm a wususer added image

Israel "Izzy" Long
izzylong.com