Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 20-02-2004 , 02:55 AM

Clay?

I'm just wondering how this is done:

https://www.3dm-mc.com/tutorials/maya/man/

If you check all the renders on the page before Carsten start's adding textures / shaders, the rendered image looks like clay, and doesnt looks like the standard shades of black when I render something .. also the background is a different colour. I see this alot on renders (all stuff without textures).

So is this some kind of render settings? To make the render look like clay? Or is it some kind of texture?

It's also the same for this:

https://www.forum.simplymaya.com/show...5&pagenumber=1

(check the last image on the page from Huxley's render, it looks more like clay than a normal render that I spit out when I render something).

# 2 20-02-2004 , 04:53 AM
I want to know too!

I'm pretty sure it has something to do with other renderers and stuff though...user added image

# 3 20-02-2004 , 05:15 AM
Subscriber

# 4 20-02-2004 , 08:04 AM
Excellent!

I'll give it a try, thanks very much howard user added image

# 5 20-02-2004 , 11:54 PM
Subscriber
if you have MentalRay, the FG will give you that look also. The shader would be just a lambert with the color of clay.

# 6 21-02-2004 , 08:29 AM
hehe, funny how I see my articles pop up user added image

anyway, yes I am using GI-Joe MEL script. Primarily because the GI effect is very handy for seeing where the surface has flaws. You have to remember that GI-Joe is simulating Global Illumination(GI) and you have to tweak it alot.

Also I think that GI-Joe is alot faster and easier to use than MR-FG/GI and it use the Maya standard renderer. Ofcause it will slow down as you put more geometry in the scene, but what renderer dont user added image

So basicly I have GI-Joe in almost all my scenes at some point, either for surface testing, or as a part of the final lighting.

Carsten Lind
Senior 3D Artist,
Maya Software Manager & Maya Instructor
LEGO Systems A/S