Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 17-10-2002 , 07:18 PM

Looking for some advice.

I'm about to graduate with my B.S. in Comp. Sci in about 2 months. Now I'm still debating what I really want to do with my life and all that junk, but visualization and simulation are two main areas I'm really looking at.

I enjoy the programming aspect along with the artistic (which I've only just begun doing), but I'm not sure what further schooling I want to do. To be honest, the prospect of getting my MS in Comp Sci doesn't seem that appealing. In that I'll just be taking a bunch of classes that I don't really find all that interesting and that in no way apply to what I want to learn. I'm really looking more at tech/trade institutes, but since I don't want to leave where I'm at (girlfriend, friends and all), at this point in time, what are some good online schools where I could get certified (or something like that) for working with various tools (Maya particularly). I'll probably be taking a few electrical engineering classes next semester also (just cause it's interesting, though I'm also looking more at tech schools for that also).

Thanks a bunch,
Tom.

# 2 18-10-2002 , 03:02 AM
hmm...yeah, where are you located?

there are lots of cool places to work around where i live, like Sonalyst Studios (they do military simulations w/maya, as does CIA)...if you don't want to get into entertainment and would rather do technical stuff (unless you want to recreate another pod crash or something), a job with your country's defense department would be very nice...government benefits, and maybe some day you'll help blow up some dumbass terrorists. i dunno, just a thought.

Signatures are the opium of the masses.
# 3 18-10-2002 , 03:45 AM
Supreme Being
lol.. interestin' thought moocow.. :p

# 4 18-10-2002 , 04:35 AM

That's one way to go, but unfortunately I can't work Military, as it really goes against my beliefs. Any leads on the education avenue for online stuff?

Thanks for the advice though user added image

Oh, I'm located in Colorado, by the way.

# 5 18-10-2002 , 04:55 PM
fair enough. i can understand that 'cause my religion has an exemption from the US military. i can opt out of any future drafts, and if i serve voluntarily, it'd be at home as a clerk or something.

still, i work 2 minutes walking from Raytheon (massachusetts), so i like to see stuff get blown up every once in awhile user added image

# 6 18-10-2002 , 04:58 PM
education avenue...hmm...

you might want to check if some place like Charles River Media or Sybex is hiring...people to make tutorials, people to help run the website, people to make interactive 3d demos to distribute on cd and stuff. that's about all i can think of right now for strictly online stuff.

of course if you want to get a job as a maya instructor at a local college or something, they're ALWAYS looking for good people.