Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 16-03-2006 , 11:50 AM

Sprite and spotlights

Hi I'm doing some smoke using sprites. It works nicely, but I'm trying to get my spotlights interact with my sprites.

The best would be selfshadowing smoke, but I can live with just smoke that gets illuminated where there is light in the scene.

I tried to instance poly planes on the particles, making them all white and using the render as a matte for the smoke render later on, but it didn't come out so well, so I was wondering if there is an alternative that works better?

Any Ideas?

Daniel.

# 2 17-03-2006 , 09:25 AM
You know under the current particle attribute there is an option for sprites where it says enable lights or something like that.

I had tried that option and it seemed like it didn't help. But in my desperate attempt to solve the problem I tried it again.

It actually works, but I couldn't see it work. Because some kind of strange directional light other than my spotlight where hitting the sprites. Even though I only have my one spotlight in the scene.

I'll upload some pictures later to better describe what I experienced.