Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 24-07-2007 , 10:06 AM

Help!! How to achieve a realistic thruster exhaust?

Hi,

This thread appears to come up fairly often after completing a fairly lengthy search of the forums but pretty much all of the results were never finally discussed so I'm hoping to get some solutions. I also posted this into the Maya chat section simply because it is the 3D app used for this project (hasn't been double posted).

I'm about to start working on a project that requires thruster exhaust effects from a missile (that being both the ejection exhaust and smoke plume). Some users have suggested I look at RealFlow but not sure if this is really necessary. Dynamics are certainly not a strong point of mine so I envisage a lot of initial work to get the desired affect but really need a good solid grounding in the right direction to start with. I'm looking for any training material that could assist us in developing this shot. The camera is intended to be rather close at ignition so we are looking for a detailed solution.

This is what we are trying to achieve:

https://www.vernk.com/images/XPRS2005...yRickClapp.jpg

My client is wanting something as close to photoreal as possible. It will eventually be composited onto a live plate. We do have a budget for some training material if required so if anyone has any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated. In addition to any comments on if RF4 could be of advantage.

Thank you to anyone that can provide some help.

Regards,
Nick.

# 2 24-07-2007 , 10:40 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore