Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 181 04-08-2011 , 06:55 PM
Wow cheers guys,
Am certainly now fully charged after a month of relaxing and no work, with regards to the knowledge of vue I owe it all to one of my work mates who left me with a shed load of tutorials he purchased. It is a great piece of kit and as I now have a much better idea of exactly how to use it I am able to get stuff done without any crashing and reasonable render times. Also have found vue x stream to be a lot more stable now and is working really well with mental ray.
on the tree trunk side they are currently running off a simple bitmap and I will try to sort out a decent texture before rendering out any final animation.

Thanks again guys,

Leon

# 182 07-08-2011 , 01:31 PM
Ok I have got the crew in the blackhawk and have now animated this shot. I have just got the ventilators working properly, I think, and hope to have a rough copy of the animation finished tomorrow. Will post the animation tomorrow but here is a plain render with the crew and no trees flapping yet unfortunately.

user added image

# 183 07-08-2011 , 05:31 PM
Acid44
That looks amazing man

# 184 07-08-2011 , 10:05 PM
Subscriber
look forward to seeing it

# 185 08-08-2011 , 11:41 AM
Ok here are 19 frames of the 500 with the trees getting effected. I will need to create some grass in Maya to import into Vue as the grass I am using will not work with the ventilators.

blackhawk on Vimeo

# 186 08-08-2011 , 02:27 PM
Head of 3d Admedia
Very cool I really like this

# 187 08-08-2011 , 04:12 PM
Subscriber
The ventilators? They are what you use in Vue to simulate wind? Like newton and drag fields in Maya?

# 188 08-08-2011 , 04:53 PM
Cheers guys,

Yeah ben the vetilators are indeed Vue's method for simulating wind. I basically tested the ventilator out in Vue to check it was having the desired effect. Once happy I saved the scene and opened it into Maya through Vue X Stream. I then Imported the Animated blackhawk and moved and parented the ventilator to the main rotor. Hey presto where ever the blackhawk now flies the vegetation is effected, well apart from the grass which I need to sort before rendering.

Hope this helps answer your question,

Leon

# 189 16-08-2011 , 12:06 PM
Well this is probably as good as I can get it with the resources at my disposal. I am currently finalizing the hummer and hope to have it completed by the end of the week. Hope to then create a scene with it and get a small piece of animation together. Not sure how it is gonna work but just want to try and get something together to better show off the stuff I have been making than traditional turntables. Then the fun of applying for jobs begins.

Blackhawk on Vimeo

# 190 16-08-2011 , 12:23 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
Fun user added image

I think the landing has to be a bit more gradual ( it's to shocky) and the trees in the background are swaying heavily, while the ( much smaller) grass isn't moving at all .

EDIT:
I just saw your own comments on vimeo, if you want to test the behavior, maybe replce the helicopter with a box and turn down the number of trees and grass for the simulation, this way you get the overall look and feel right without having to run a heavy scene .
You can parent the helicopter to the box afterwards ( and maybe do some secondary animation on that if you wish to do so)

Last edited by mastone; 16-08-2011 at 12:28 PM.
# 191 16-08-2011 , 12:31 PM
The Nurb Herd
i think that animation looks really unbelievable.
I agree the trees seem miniature because they are swaying so much and the ground is totally unresponsive. I also think the whole thing looks like a 'day to night' comped shot. Its really dark, the 'blue' sky is grey for a start.

# 192 16-08-2011 , 12:35 PM
One of my workmates just showed me this and think it may also be worth a look, craft studio.
Craft Helicopter - Turbo Tutorial - YouTube
Gonna concentrate on the Hummer for the mo and take a break from this for a few days but will see if I can get it working better as it would be better to have it right than having it ropey.

Cheers as always for the crits and assistance guys it is a big help. Also your idea on the tress simulation Mastone is spot on, I will certainly use that method for trying to get this right.

Thanks again guys

Last edited by leonlabyk; 16-08-2011 at 12:38 PM.
# 193 16-08-2011 , 09:14 PM
Subscriber
I quite like it. Good to see a few more seconds of it, and it running smoother. The animation of the helicopter is slightly jerky..I think the main thing that sticks out to me as being 'wrong' is the couple of guys sitting on the edge there....they kind of bob back and forth a bit like crash test dummies?user added image But I think the trees swaying looks good.

# 194 18-08-2011 , 06:57 PM
I believe you should get more lessons from the great Matt Massie...

# 195 18-08-2011 , 08:14 PM
Hahahahaha Nicely done,
I think I would rather learn from the food reviewer.

The new hummer is almost done with the mk64 mount for the Browning 50 cal + the alternative back and other doors. Am gonna set up a desert scene and try to get a decent render out for my folio and will then try and get these set up and animated with craft studio.

Cheers for your thoughts on this guys and will do my best to try and get it looking right.