Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 16 03-05-2007 , 08:40 PM
I understand we're supposed to make our own textures. But what about using images from the web in the creation of those textures. i.e. downloading wood panelling for a wood texture?

# 17 03-05-2007 , 09:36 PM

how to open .objs?

how does one open the .obj file in Maya 7 on a MAC? I get an "urecognized format" error message when trying to import the file [which shows up as a .txt icon on my desktop even after changing the extension to .obj].

Cheers!
Adam

# 18 03-05-2007 , 11:26 PM
The Maya Mountain
sure you can go get photo sources for your textures. I'd recomend trying to avoid simply taking photos from the web and slapping them on your model as-is.

I don't have a Mac so I'm not sure about your problem abstainer. Can you "Save File As..." on a Mac and save it straight to your computer as an .obj?

You may need to turn on the .obj plug in in Maya under Window > Settings/Preferences > Plug-in Manager

# 19 04-05-2007 , 12:08 AM
figured it out...had to use Firefox browser and then did have to add that plug-in...thanks!

# 20 04-05-2007 , 11:26 AM
Jr.Who
Hmm, IÕm thinking about joining the challenge next month. Do they rotate from Modeling and Texturing every month? user added image

# 21 04-05-2007 , 11:37 AM
The Maya Mountain
no, the challenges don't follow any kind of order. This one just started, why not join in now? user added image

# 22 04-05-2007 , 11:41 AM
Jr.Who

Originally posted by mtmckinley
no, the challenges don't follow any kind of order. This one just started, why not join in now? user added image

Why not join now? Because I absolutely suck at UV mapping and my texturing skills arenÕt as good as my modeling skills. user added image

BTW, are there any other challenges besides the Modeling and Texturing?

# 23 04-05-2007 , 01:08 PM

Originally posted by Jr.Who
Why not join now? Because I absolutely suck at UV mapping and my texturing skills arenÕt as good as my modeling skills. user added image

In my opinion, that's all the more a better reason to join on in while you have the opportunity (this month). You'll be surrounded by people doing the same thing, willing to lend a hand or some advice; I say take advantage of it.

If not for the sake of winning, at least do it for the sake of learning. user added image

# 24 04-05-2007 , 03:25 PM
Jr.Who
We also just moved into a new house, and schoolÕs ending this month, so IÕll be much more busy this month than usual.

# 25 04-05-2007 , 11:53 PM
Make my own textures? I don't think I like you anymore Mike (hehe). Just kidding, will be good for me. Thanks for the info.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 26 08-05-2007 , 05:29 PM

Final image

What should the final image be like?
Must we do a render of the model textured standing on e.g. a Grey plane or should we do a full scene, posing the character in a better pose and portray some action?

Laugh and the world laughs with you - Weep and you weep alone.

Visit my gallery at : https://www.vuurstorm.co.za
# 27 08-05-2007 , 05:36 PM
The Maya Mountain
either way is fine, present the model and textures the best you can.

# 28 08-05-2007 , 10:35 PM
Senior Software Developer
No.

We have had animation, dynamics etc...

Maybe a cloth challenge next month.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 29 23-05-2007 , 08:00 AM
Subscriber
a cloth challenage would be very hard to set up as it really is verson depedent. Not everyone has the full version of maya, and if they do, it might be 8.5 which now has ncloth which is alot different than maya cloth (and a lot easier).

even if it was a syflex challenage it does not surport any verson of maya under 6.5 and as yet no 8.5 surport.

Don`t think we`ll ever get a cloth challenge really going here.

its been awhile scene a animate challenage was set !!!

# 30 24-05-2007 , 12:20 PM
thank you man

hello