Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 29-02-2008 , 06:01 PM

How to create holes in swiss cheese?

Hi everyone. Please forgive me for probably asking a very silly question but I'm very new to Maya.

I'm trying to design a slice of swiss cheese and have done so using a nurbs sphere with an end sweep angle of 40 degrees.

As the insides of the sphere are hollow, I had to create 2 planes and use them as the sides of the cheese. May I know if this is the correct way of filling up the sides of an empty object or are there better ways of doing this?

The biggest problem I'm facing comes from making the holes of the swiss cheese. I tried using semi nurb spheres (since they are hollow inside) and implanted them into the planes (sides of the cheese) but the holes get hidden by the plane instead.

Can someone advise me on an effective way of making the holes since I think my method won't work?

Thanks in advance user added image

# 2 29-02-2008 , 11:21 PM
The Maya Mountain
I wouldn't use nurbs for this. I'd use polygons and boolean out the holes.

Of course, I wouldn't use nurbs to make most anything at all, myself, so maybe I'm biased. user added image

# 3 01-03-2008 , 03:05 AM
Senior Software Developer
No your not biased Mike... LOL games modellers tend to prefer polys.

I would do the suggestion mike gave or you can try the following:

UV The Cheese and get it into an Image editing application and create a black and white image of the cheese wholes and then texture the cheese using then black and white image as either a Displacement Map or Bump Map.

It will need refining and will take time, but hey it gives you control without having to chip bits out of your geometry.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)