Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 16-07-2008 , 11:36 AM

Rusty edge texture with maya(robots)

hello everyone,

I am trying to create rusty (scratch) edges texture with maya.
please have a look at the image from robots movie ,so you can understand what I mean.
if you have some experience please give me some your advice.
any link or tutorials welcome

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 16-07-2008 , 07:08 PM
Subscriber
For this you can paint parts of rusty textures onto your robot texture in a program like photoshop, its the same as creating any other texture.

Chris

# 3 17-07-2008 , 12:13 AM
You should probably look into UV mapping. They hve some tutorials on this site.

PS: Have you got Photoshop?

W.I.P's
-
Finished work
Mech
# 4 17-07-2008 , 01:21 AM
Subscriber
UV mapping is pretty much how its done. There are other things you could try, but textures and maps like those used in " Robots" are a true art form. The UV tuts here are great for getting you started, a few books on Photoshop wouldnt hurt either. I have actually spent alot more time on my maps and textures then i have on some models!:headbang:

# 5 17-07-2008 , 11:43 AM
Subscriber
have a look into layerering textures using alpha channels.., you can layer one on the other.

look into bump mapping and displacement maps.., easier than doing it modeling geometry.

im not good at it but your post has made me decide that working this out is this nights chore .., user added image

take it easy and life will be easy
# 6 17-07-2008 , 02:11 PM
hi guys thanks for replay,

of course i have photo shop, i am using for years , I made so many uv texture, but when I try make something like that bit difficult. trying to get th rusty edge with uv snapshot and inport to PS , than work on it, cant really get so smooth texture on the edges, specially the scratch gives great looks to the model,

just wana know if you guys made something before and have some experience with this kind of texture, some image reference that will be good,
also new movie the little robot, it is amazing and full of this kind of texturing, so I need find out how did they made it,
yes it is photoshop and uv snapshot, I made my process till layers in photoshop, but create this edges(rusty or scratch) drive me mad. so I need some tutorials from photoshop how can you create this effects,

please let me know how can you do it
thanks

# 7 17-07-2008 , 02:28 PM
Subscriber
Look for 'rusty brushes' for photoshop, then you can paint round the parts of the textures, also get a lot of rusty reference pics and try and blend them into the maps.

Chris

# 8 17-07-2008 , 03:21 PM
Subscriber
the PS workflow must be emulated in maya.., thats my point, you will need to layer in the same way..,

maya is a little different than PS but the same principle using layered textures.., if you can master the layered texture.., and add layered textures to layered textures.., it branches out eh..??!.., you get a tree of spec, bump amd colour.., to each 'layer' with the blend mode in the layered texture to 'over.'

each shader will be layered with spec and bump and colour textures..,

hope this makes sense.., but you must use alphas so the 'bits' of rust are seen and only the bits of rust from each seperate texture, or the moss on the brick wall.., or whatever it is you want shown.., thats why the blend mode in the layered texture AE is needed to be set to 'over'

anyway..,remember you are talking pixar (robot) .., and everything they do is BIG and COMPLICATED.

i think it might take more than an e-mail to understand this??

its compositing in maya!!!

a lot of the work done in those movies are done in other compositing apps.., maya is just for elements these days.., things like specular, shadow, ect are best done in post using normals maps and RGBa maths.., you might check the tuts Izzy has been making lately?? but that might only go somewhere in showing you compositing and how these things are done.., not solve yyour immediate question..., its a big one!!

google.., 'rusty edges in maya textures'.., might get something!!

take it easy and life will be easy

Last edited by mirek03; 17-07-2008 at 03:24 PM.
# 9 17-07-2008 , 04:15 PM
thanks guys for all your supports , it is great to be in such forum to helping each others,

I am trying to find out everything to get the right texture, you guys right alot of software being used to create such thing, but this effects is really powerful in the CG market(animation)

so I am still trying to get the right texture to my F16, I was wondering if anyone have done it before so it will be much easy for me to follow his step to get this kind of texture,

any updates regarding this question, please welcome.