Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 16 18-08-2010 , 08:40 PM
Subscriber
Another wip. I took the mesh into Zbrush. Ive got some strange artifacts on the bottom of the torso and left arm, but I may have his lower body submerged in water, so I'll hide those parts. Apart from that its going ok I think, apart from another random knot of geometry that appeare to the side of his neck. I've covered it up for now and luckily it kind of blended into the flow of his neck, unless that's just wishful thinking on my part.

Attached Images
# 17 18-08-2010 , 09:06 PM
The thin red line
What sort of artifacts are you getting, spiking?.......dave

# 18 18-08-2010 , 09:11 PM
Lifetime Member
I love the pose man......it has that old movie feel about it!! Keep it up.....watch the caffeine!!! it can be deadly they tell me...LOL

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 19 18-08-2010 , 09:37 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by daverave
What sort of artifacts are you getting, spiking?.......dave

The ones on the left arm and torso are holes, you can see them just about in the above pic, but thats where I havnt tidied the geometry in those areas, there cylinders with 10sided faces on the end, and its just zbrushs reaction to those 10 sided polygons and how its tried to handle them, i.e...not well. The one on the neck though, was almost like a small poly plane had got stuck in there and was protruding through the shoulder, the head was too close to the torso with little neck in between, so I used the transpose tools to pull the entire head away from the body a bit... that was when I noticed it.

And thankyou bullet. The transpose tools in Zbrush have helped with that.

# 20 18-08-2010 , 09:43 PM
Lifetime Member
I see what you mean....looks almost like verts that havent merged or similar????

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 21 18-08-2010 , 09:50 PM
The thin red line
Ben you do need to have a good mesh going into zbrush 4 sided polys. One problem I have found is a vertices with more then 4 edges leading into it, this for me caused spiking were you go over a area with a zbrush brush the result a spike. I dont know if you want to work in this area or not but a good mesh will give you no problems..................I hope I am helping...........Dave

# 22 18-08-2010 , 11:36 PM
Subscriber
Bullet... That happens when, as dave is saying, when you export geometry from maya to zbrush and the edge flow isnt very good. The verts are merged in maya, but because I created the torso and arms from primitive cylinders, where those cylinders had 10 sides but just one face on the end, that face was therefore 10 sided. Zbrush likes 3 or 4 sided faces, and does things like what you see in the picture to faces with more.

Dave, you are helping, and thankyou. I put the mesh into z as a test, just for this kind of reason. The bits on the arm and torso I can live with as I am thinking of having them out of shot or underwater. I didnt check for 5+ sided faces, so perhaps youre right and that is what is causing the problem. Im of the mind now where I dont want to go back for fear of producing worse results next time around. Ill check my base mesh tomorrow and see if I can find any offending geometry. I will also check for potential 'spikers'. I know what you mean, I had that problem at the very tip of the tail on the dragon in my dragon market picture.

Last edited by ben hobden; 18-08-2010 at 11:41 PM.
# 23 18-08-2010 , 11:47 PM
Lifetime Member
Thanks ben...I dont have Zbrush but I pay attention as much as possible...seeing the probs you guys have will help me also in the future. I understand now....Zbrush is just interpolating as it sees it.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

# 24 19-08-2010 , 08:32 AM
It does attempt to quad it on import but it can add poles into the mesh and these can cause the problem

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 25 19-08-2010 , 04:02 PM
Subscriber
Have been considering adding a hood after being inspired by a scary image I saw on google last week. It covers up the back arm, but I think it probably makes the guy less scary. Anybody prefer it with or without?

Attached Thumbnails
# 26 19-08-2010 , 04:17 PM
EduSciVis-er
With.... but depends how you texture and light it I think.

# 27 19-08-2010 , 04:18 PM
The thin red line
It all depends if you were going to model like the first picture you posted the hood will cover up a lot of detail if not keep it.......dave

Edit:the hand is comming along nicely

Last edited by daverave; 19-08-2010 at 04:21 PM.
# 28 19-08-2010 , 06:01 PM
Subscriber
Thanks Dave. Im pleased with it, and the time I spent there in Maya has paid off. I'll go with the hood for now then, here's where I'm at after some more sculpting this afternoon

Attached Thumbnails
# 29 19-08-2010 , 09:16 PM
Lifetime Member
I think the hood looks good ben...adds depth and character. I agree with dave..as long as it doesnt cover up too much.

Looking good man!!

cheers bullet

bullet1968

# 30 19-08-2010 , 09:26 PM
The thin red line
Hi Ben, how are you going to create you UVs..........dave