Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 31 19-08-2010 , 10:29 PM
Subscriber
Cheers Bullet.

Not sure yet Dave. Probably in ZBrush. I dont suppose you know whether UVs created in either program are more conducive to producing better results with displacement maps?

# 32 19-08-2010 , 11:07 PM
Subscriber
I probably wont do too much more today, or for a couple of days at that. Ive just spent some time looking at using some alphas to add some detail. Ive never used the layers in zbrush to control detail, but it's really easy and helps alot. That together with storing a morph target to give you the ability to blend/feather details in and out is so helpful. I'll definitely be using those tools whenever I work in Z again.

Attached Images
# 33 19-08-2010 , 11:24 PM
The thin red line
Hi Ben, make sure you can create uvs in zbrush like I said bad meshes can make problems in zbrush.......I hope I am wrong.........dave

# 34 19-08-2010 , 11:27 PM
Subscriber
(alarm bells!)...good point Dave. hmmmmm...

# 35 19-08-2010 , 11:58 PM
Subscriber
Liking what you done - was not quite sure at first but progress is looking sweat.

# 36 20-08-2010 , 12:03 AM
Subscriber
user added image Cheers tweet. What wasnt you sure about.. the concept or the base mesh?

# 37 20-08-2010 , 12:08 AM
Lifetime Member
MATE...I want that for my new friggin tattoo bro...serious that would look sweet on my other arm..juxtaposed to my Egyptian Predator...wicked work mate.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 38 20-08-2010 , 12:19 AM
Subscriber
To be honest both - your sketch was a little too ruff for me and then the base mesh looked off - but I am eating my words now. Hope the uv thing does not hold you down

# 39 23-08-2010 , 02:50 PM
Subscriber
Unfortunately.... I think it has/will. Ive been forced into either backtracking, or finding another way.

Thanks for the kind words about the model to you both. I was really pleased with it. Best sculpt I've ever done in Zbrush.

I used decimation master in the end, to get the model back into Maya. Lost quite a bit of detail, but the bits that bothered me, mainly the veins on his arms, are still there or there abouts. Ive been playing with lights since, and think I may have come up with a possible lighting scheme and/or concept for the 'scene' that will give me a new direction to take this in. I think its a fault that I dont backtrack, but perhaps there is something good to come from pushing on and trying to find alternative solutions, and to be able to deal with problems when they arise. For instance, I'm having to place my lights carefullt to help pick up bits of detail I want to keep and enhance, and miss out bits that don't look so good, which has actually given the lighting a kinda 'horrorish' feel I think.

Attached Thumbnails
# 40 23-08-2010 , 03:19 PM
The thin red line
Why did you have to use decimation master Ben, I have to say you seam to have lost what was good about your model I hope you can get it back...........dave

# 41 23-08-2010 , 03:22 PM
Lifetime Member
hmmm you did lose the veins etc..the concept lighting is good. Looks Halloween type...maybe coming out of a kids NDS or something feel to it. Maybe a slightly dull overhead or classic under jaw light? Looks good mate...nice so far

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 42 23-08-2010 , 04:32 PM
Subscriber
I went with decimation master because I could get no normal map out of zbrush. I attempted it with zmapper but the holes in the geometry wreaked havoc on the map. Displacement map? Same thing. My model had actually become 3 parts, for some reason, one part round the back, the thumb had become separated somehow, and then the rest of the model. It didnt really know what else to do unless I wanted to go back, fix the original base in Maya, and then resculpt. So with maps out of the equation, I had no real alternative but to use decimation master, to get the model down to a level where I could smooth it in Maya, and still have enough space in memory for adding lights and other possible geometry to the scene. It is a shame. I would like to have seen those veins pop more. Its perhaps possible that I can uv the model as it is now in Maya and create another normal map in Maya, using the alphas I used for the veins in zbrush.

This pic shows where the thumb had become its own entity, I can only assume its a normals issue from when I extruded the thumb in the first place.

as an afterthought - would you Dave, or anyone else, know if retopologizing would help me out of this? Ive never retopologized before, but if I could do the whole thing.... I dont know if that would fix the holes underneath though.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by ben hobden; 23-08-2010 at 04:35 PM.
# 43 23-08-2010 , 04:42 PM
The thin red line
Sorry Ben
I did think you might have problems, take you base mesh back to maya and fix those bit were its giving you trouble then re import back to zbrush as a subtool to your monster, I think it projectall you might need to look it up as I only did it once. Give it a try .............dave

Edit:In zbrush use the check mesh integruty

# 44 23-08-2010 , 05:10 PM
Subscriber
I will try. Ive just been reading up in my Scott Spencer book, and theres a couple of ways I can go about fxing this. Bt both will take a while and no doubt will fail several times before succeeding. But will try. I can either retopologize in Zbrush, or build a new mesh in Maya, and reproject, as you say, in Zbrush. Both are going to need more than the fours sleep I had last night so will prob wait till wednesday!

edit - thinking about this, are you saying that you think its possible that I could just fix those holes and then reproject on those areas? because theyre underneath the model anyway so theres no actual detail on that area I want to keep anyway.

Last edited by ben hobden; 23-08-2010 at 05:21 PM.
# 45 23-08-2010 , 05:31 PM
Subscriber
p.s, bullet. Thinking of having him up against some glass on the right, and then some kinda background on the left, probably indoors, but possibly a window there or something aswell, or a hallway...

Attached Thumbnails