Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 16 16-08-2010 , 11:50 PM
Level 32 pachyderm

Originally posted by bullet1968
Now if that isnt editing!!! bahahahaha yeh well that thought of you is kinda disturbing...plastecine etc etc sealions...hhhmmmmmm sounds like a good childhood.

cheers bullet

Sadly it wasn't. It was a good week but sadly not representative of my childhood in general.

Still, now my desk is occupied by about 50 plastecine models, which is never a bad thing. I haven't done any stop motion since I started 3D. If only I had more space... The models also always get deformed as they are manipulated and eventually falls apart, which is always saddening, so I usually bake everything I make now so it lasts forever...

# 17 16-08-2010 , 11:58 PM
Lifetime Member
Thanks Mayaniac!! yeh that was just a test man...I have never done organics and did it in about half an hour. I have to re-arrange the geo in it...Im not happy with the wire..it was getting late and I was tired. You arent up steve-o??? still in concept?? I figured Beats of Mythology would be good, for those like me who dont get into horror...some school study memories would be good.

As I dont have Zbrush it will all be done in Maya..I have Sculptris but its hard to get my head around ATM.

As for scary etc...its all in the eyes man...and that will be what I will work hard on. You know the eyes that follow you creepy stuff.

Nothing wrong with that Elephantic!!

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 18 18-08-2010 , 12:30 AM
Lifetime Member
Well I was doing some last night, didnt get it right..tried to place the eyes and realised the thing isnt right proportion. Im going to scrub it and try and sketch again what I want, try again. I tried to import to Sculptris but it kept giving me an error. Oh well....so dont expect much from me for quite a while. I will try though.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 19 18-08-2010 , 08:24 AM
Lifetime Member
Ok I CANT DO organics...Im beat. I have scrubbed the original look as I didnt like it. My inspiration came from Mayaniacs first pic on his possible entry (no steve not taking your idea...nice pic though!). I thought my Minotaur of Mayhem looked to corny. I grabbed a photo of some Yak type beast and realised that it was totally different to what I had in my head. I am doing this freehand (is that the correect term), no tracing, so only throw fruit or veges (no rocks) at least they are edible. After falling in love with your pic steve I decided mine lacked RAW POWER, you know that BEAST look. I am using the YAK pic I have to look at whilst I model. I have also downloaded 40 squillion pics of body builders (some are repulsive I might add) and will use those as a guide for the body. ANY crits or help WELCOME at any stage into this. As stated, Im as good at organics as giving birth...NOT. I am trying however (though I am my worst critic...I assure you).

Cheers bullet

Attached Thumbnails

bullet1968

# 20 18-08-2010 , 08:54 AM
The thin red line
Thats a good starting point, the neck needs to be flared out at the back and I would bring a eye in to help with the modelling..............dave

# 21 18-08-2010 , 09:06 AM
Hi Bullet,

With organics the main thing to nail down is the topology of the model that you are making. Have a look online for similar animals in 3D and see if you can grab a wireframe for reference.

You need to firstly make loops that flow with firstly the major boney areas then onto the muscles.

Once you havet he jist of edge loops then have a think and a paint over of an animal/human to fit the loops and define where your going to add the said loops, this helps a lot when you get into Maya ad you already have a picture in your head of what you want to create before you start.

Then create a cube and go from there dividnign and slicing, I tend to define the eyes and mouth off the bat by extruding geo, it then makes it easier to add edge loops using the insert edge loop tool.

I tend to follow this method, it was form a guy who made gandalf in a hardcore modelling challenge on cgtalk, I dont know his name but credit to him. I used to do a diferent method, saw this and gave it a go and loved it. You'll find your own method, either box or edge by edge.

Attached Thumbnails

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 22 18-08-2010 , 09:20 AM
Lifetime Member
Thanks dave...yeh I have a bit to do it and will do some more tonight. I will try and bulk the neck a bit before I go and do the chest.

WOW steve...I have NEVER seen a head done like that....I have the edge loop in my head..but as you said its the PLACEMENT thats critical. Im not good with anatomy but have a fair Idea where to put them.

By eye I know where to go I guess its the tweaking thats the hard part. I tend to try and get the detail in and stuff it up from there LOL.

Yes eyes and mouth will help....I will try and do that as well..give it some shape. Its hard as I can draw (somewhat) and KNOW what to do with a pencil (if you get my drift) but its hard to transfer to the Maya...dunno why. I can see what I want in my head...must have crazy old man syndrome today. Gimme a bloody plane or boat aaaarrrrrr

Serious thanks both of you for your advice...I am paying attention (and watching others).

cheers bullet

bullet1968

# 23 18-08-2010 , 04:29 PM
EduSciVis-er
Thanks for that post Steve... for me the hardest part and what I'm struggling with is turning some sort of primitive into roughly the correct topology, so that's helpful. I'm just sort of doing trial and error at the moment.

And keep it up bullet! I'm positive everyone has troubles starting out with organics, but it's just practice practice, and getting lots of constructive criticism from the community user added image Don't be too hard on yourself either.

# 24 18-08-2010 , 04:35 PM
Just been making a start on a low poly base mesh for this and its been horrible as I have't touched maya for modeling in ages!

So you need to keep it up with orgaincs or they will bite ya in the bum!

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 25 18-08-2010 , 09:10 PM
Lifetime Member
Thanks stwert.....thats it practice.

LOL gster I hear ya! keep it up mate...you will remember!

cheers bullet

bullet1968

# 26 19-08-2010 , 03:42 AM
Lifetime Member
Ok did a bit quietly at work..(snicker). Its all by eye so it may not look right. Im just trying to get the basic shapes out and get my head around it. Thanks for the advice and help thus far...I get depressed pretty quickly when I cant seem to get something right..but you guys help! cheers

Attached Thumbnails

bullet1968

# 27 19-08-2010 , 03:45 AM
Lifetime Member
apologies for the above pic size

Attached Thumbnails

bullet1968

# 28 19-08-2010 , 09:08 AM
The thin red line
Sorry for the bad sketch, looking from above on the skull I think this is how it should look for the eye area. The over one is for the neck..........hope this helps.......dave

Attached Thumbnails

# 29 19-08-2010 , 09:10 AM
Lifetime Member
LOL not bad for a blind lush. Here is the pic I used dave..there are quite a few differences in cattle.

cheers bullet

Attached Images

bullet1968

# 30 19-08-2010 , 09:21 AM
The thin red line
That shot is still showing what I am saying the skull comes out a bit so the cow can look farward..........dave

Edit:It might help if you reduce the size of the eye

Last edited by daverave; 19-08-2010 at 09:31 AM.