Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 16 01-10-2010 , 08:08 AM
I like the progression Chirone. the bones look great.

I think im going to have to get me a copy of z-brush soon, it looks like fun user added image

# 17 01-10-2010 , 08:19 AM
Subscriber
it is indeed most fun! it does take quite a bit to get used to though as a lot of the existing concepts from program don't exist. like going file > save... such things don't exist, it;s whole different paradigm (i think thats the word i'm looking for)

at some point some oif the bones looked like man-only parts, if you know what i mean. which was kinda annoying

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 18 03-10-2010 , 08:02 AM
Subscriber
a little bit of progress.
i did plan on finishing up today but didn't get round to that...

anyway, decided to redo the scythe/claw/blade thing because the topology of it wasn't working all that well.

if i were to use the reotopology tool i'd have to do both sides seperately since it was no longer in the center so i couldn't use symmetry.

this time i remembered to take a picture of the cool new shadow box for you guys

https://i948.photobucket.com/albums/a...peyeder005.jpg
except after doing this i used GoZ and flattened out some part of it so i could use the planer brush to make it properly flat on both sides. and then at some point zb crashed and i lost everything.
well.. not entirely true. i still had it in maya, but i closed that without saving and then i had lost everything

but here's the second attempt (forgot to snap shot a shadow box for this but the result is almost the same)
https://i948.photobucket.com/albums/a...peyeder006.jpg

and from a lower angle
https://i948.photobucket.com/albums/a...peyeder007.jpg

there is no longer a giant ball attached to this since i couldn't make a decent enough sphere and then i remembered that i should be able to merge subtools together so i'll grab a sphere and merge it with that

also, this is meant to be made of bone, so it shouldn't be entirely smooth

although, now that i think about it, i dont think bone would have such sharp corners as you see at the top... think i'll make the transition softer

Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX

Last edited by Chirone; 03-10-2010 at 08:10 AM.
# 19 03-10-2010 , 10:43 AM
Lifetime Member
That looks good mate!! You might be suprised at how sharp bone can get......especially when its a predators weapon.

Dig this shadow box thing...might have to google some info..

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 20 12-10-2010 , 08:12 PM
Subscriber
oh this is just lame...

i turn on my computer and nothing shows up...

i think the graphics card is dead? i'm still yet to find another ati card to put into the motherboard to see for sure, but my monitors work

something did show up when i plugged the card into the other pci-e slot but then it stopped working soon after.

man.. and i was so going to finish this too user added image

# 21 12-10-2010 , 09:06 PM
Lifetime Member
Uh oh this doesnt sound good mate!!

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 22 13-10-2010 , 08:28 AM
Subscriber
fortunately my laptop still works even after 4 years (i shoudl hope it lasts that long)

unfortunately i dont have zb4 on here nor do i have my projects on here

i suppose i could just take the harddrive out and swap it into one of my external harddrive cases and install zb4 from there and then learn to sculpt with 1.5GB of ram...

furtunately my laptop is running xp pro so it doesn't take all that much ram up...

i think it's my motherboard that might be screwed. i tried someone else's graphics card and nothing showed on screen still.
sadly his computer's power supply wont power my graphics card so i can't fully be sure if it's both my motherboard and graphics card or just the card.
the LED on the motherboard lights up when it gets power, so i'm not sure if it's broken..

# 23 13-10-2010 , 08:46 AM
Head of 3d Admedia
as for the card why not switch also power supply unit with his and check
Is your motherboard expensive ??

# 24 13-10-2010 , 08:54 AM
Subscriber
switch the power supply.... wonder why i never thought of doing that
well... i'm going to go to another friend tomorrow and see if my card works in his computer. it wont make that much of a difference if i determine if it's the graphics card now or later since i can only go out to buy stuff in the weekends anyway

i don't think my motherboard was too expensive. I paid $220NZ for it, and that was almost exactly 2 years ago

also i dont think any of the current motherboards support quad core? it's all mentioning i3 i5 and i7 these days..

# 25 13-10-2010 , 09:09 AM
Head of 3d Admedia

also i dont think any of the current motherboards support quad core? it's all mentioning i3 i5 and i7 these days..

i sincerely doubt the lga 775 socket is dead......... cause with every release of a new processor lynfield and the rest they will always release an lga socket based processor
i guess ebay will be your friend im sure you can get a cheap 40usd board asrock g41 i think

# 26 16-10-2010 , 12:46 AM
Subscriber
ok, so my motherbopard was under warentee but i couldn't wait for long so idecided to get a new computer

now i got an i7 and still 8GB ram but now ddr3.

i don't think i have all that much time to do anything but we'll see if if i get anywhere