wessley 1 3.85%
eye_grafix 3 11.54%
Dango77 4 15.38%
ben hobden 7 26.92%
tweetytunes 2 7.69%
s2-speedy 9 34.62%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 22-10-2010 , 07:15 AM

Final Voteing Poll

Hi all,

Please choose your favourite from the entries that have been submitted in the following thread

https://srv01.simply3dworld.com/showt...threadid=34486

Please accept my appologies for the delay in getting this together.

I'll leave the poll open unitll the 30th of October then choose the winner.

Good luck

Steve

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle

# 2 22-10-2010 , 07:37 AM
Acid44
Shouldn't it be "Voting", and choose your "favourite"? :p

Mine goes to Tweety, something about it just stands out to me

# 3 22-10-2010 , 08:01 AM

Originally posted by acid44
Shouldn't it be "Voting", and choose your "favourite"? :p

Indeed, and a point for you acid in the early morning test!

# 4 22-10-2010 , 09:35 AM
Subscriber
Well I see a clear winner here .... and its me - only joking

I am torn between voting for "ben hobden",s2-speedy and "eye_grafix", as I think voting for myself is wrong.

Ben`s is clearly very good and s2-speedy used a very good resident evil entry against me (my fav game series ever) but Eye has spent alot of time on this and set up the scene a lot more. The little guy is defiantly very scary

Well made my vote but thats for me to know

Thanks for the vote Acid44- just wished I hade enough spare time to work on him more (at the time)

Last edited by tweetytunes; 22-10-2010 at 09:50 AM.

# 5 22-10-2010 , 10:35 AM
The thin red line
This is a hard one as so meny of you put a lot of work in that did not make it to the final post. I have not voted for the best model but the one that is more horrific.............good luck all............dave

# 6 22-10-2010 , 10:53 AM
Lifetime Member
Made my vote...well done you all the people that mad ethe deadline. I wish I could have done more myself but sadly 3D modelling at work took its toll.

It was a good effort by all and it boiled down to 2 entries for me.....

cheers bullet

Edit: oh and Steve....the other link in the home page quicklink box keeps giving an error.

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes

# 7 22-10-2010 , 12:09 PM

Originally posted by bullet1968
Edit: oh and Steve....the other link in the home page quicklink box keeps giving an error.

Yup, that was because I managed to forget to add the poll! Doh!

# 8 22-10-2010 , 12:22 PM
Lifetime Member
bahahahahahahuser added image user added image

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes

# 9 22-10-2010 , 01:14 PM
Super Moderator
I had to think long and hard on this one. I voted Ben, his was on point and has a pretty decent amount of polish, plus I like the misty nightmarish thing it has going on.

Apart from being under-lit, it seems like your character lost a lot of detail because of the displacement map tweaks (or lack thereof). The idea has potential, something so creepy looking with such an innocent and unassuming name.

Eye_grafix

Good scene but needs more creep factor with the lighting, right now everything looks lambert and under an even white light.

The head looks good but you had bedroom sets, chainsaws, hockey masks, blood spattered machetes and all that just vanished?

/pokes Dango in the eye

I was expecting a well framed shot of something funny and dark.=.=

I was looking at the W.i.p and saw the amount of detail that went into just his hook hand thingy (hopefully I will get to see another render of it user added image) This one didn't do the model justice.

S2-speedy

Not a bad idea at all. It took couple minutes to realize what was bothering me about this image, and its that it has a weird flatness about it. The last shot in the w.i.p thread looked a lot better I believe, more candid and raw, this one kinda looks like a poster for a movie.

- Genny

# 10 22-10-2010 , 02:06 PM
Cast my Vote. I went with Eye_Graphix - I was torn between this and Ben's.

I like the graveyard idea and the face looks real evil, kind of like a sinister smile to it, i also find small things freaky like a demon child. I know the black and white image might be due to not enough time to texture but i like black and white with the film grain effect its like old school.

I also considered that eye_graphix is like 15years old or something. I thought this was a great effort for a school kid.

well done. user added image and thanks for the people that voted for mine.

# 11 22-10-2010 , 02:41 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by GecT

Tweety

I was looking at the W.i.p and saw the amount of detail that went into just his hook hand thingy (hopefully I will get to see another render of it user added image) This one didn't do the model justice.

Could not agree with you more. Life just gave me no time and I wanted something to show for my efforts.

My plan is to make a small animation with the guy - walking up a fallen tree or something in the rain - keeping to the horror theam.

# 12 22-10-2010 , 07:36 PM
Ruddy hack Genny, Might cut and paste your feedback for the finals!

Cheers for the votes and comments so far.

What I think would be great from members is some more comments like Gennys, nice constructuve feedback on all the finals.

Not in any way i'm saying any comment on here is not constructive, this has to be commended as one of the most, if not the most, constructive and helpful forum on the net.

Just that I think a little one liner for improvement would help.

Obviously I will keep my comments untill the final results!

Cheers

Steve

# 13 22-10-2010 , 07:59 PM
Subscriber
Voted Speedy. Because I like the gamevibe and i think it is the most complete. Tweet tunes a close second, realy looking forward to the finished product. And Dango third because those facial expressions in your thread were crazy.

# 14 23-10-2010 , 01:16 AM
EduSciVis-er
I was going to post up some crit, but thanks for the reminder, Steve.

Wessly: I think the plain black background hurts it the most and everything looks a bit soft, but I like the expression. You could try to make the pose a bit more threatening maybe.

eye_grafix: Cool scene overall, and really creepy little character. I don't really like the absence of eyeballs, also the feet (including the severed one) could use more shape.

Dango: Really sweet head, love the expression and the texturing. Like Genny, I was hoping to see some of the other parts of the scene, but I guess since I didn't submit anything, I'm not really one to talk :p. The lack of eyebrows and eyelashes is noticeable, but maybe that's a vampire thing.

ben: Nice job on the sculpting, the veins and muscle really give it nice definition. I think that the colors you've chosen make it all look a bit calm and peaceful. You could replace the monster with a swan and it would be perfect user added image but seriously, the lighting technically looks great.

tweety: Awesome job on what you managed to finish. I like the asymmetry in the teeth and texturing. I think some detailing on the metal pieces would go a long way. I think the metal shader (if it is metal) also needs some work, but overall it's a sweet character.

s2-speedy: I'm not usually a fan of low-poly stuff, but I have to say this was my favorite overall. I really like the whole scene aspect; you didn't just include the character on its own. The poses are excellent. I'm not sure the sign adds enough to justify it being there (the joke doesn't really make me laugh). Still, the texturing and the raindrops really make it great. I haven't played Resident Evil, but I'd be pulling out my biggest, fastest gun right then.

Congrats everyone! Hopefully we get even more people submitting stuff in the next contest!

# 15 24-10-2010 , 12:30 PM
Subscriber
Hey user added image user added image thanks Genny!

Here's a breakdown of what I thought:

To start, I guess, I voted for speedy. I thought it was imaginative and I liked the richness of the colours and the overall contrast. I like the use of textures, particularly the dog's rib cage, and I liked the overall comp. Also, like some other entries too, it was nice to see something low poly, but done well. Where I did those cg society workshops this year, i seem to spend alot of time stressing myself out in a quest for realism and ultra detailed ...'things', and it was kind of refreshing for me to see some good pieces that kept it kind of simple, but were cool at the same time. Reminded me that 'fun' is important, and I was disappointed with my own image in this respect as everybody else's work, to me, had much more of a 'fun' element to them. I have a habit of overcomplicating things, and I think I fell foul of that again here. Like when I see Kurt's work on this site, I am reminded that less can be more when done right. Speedy's work here reminded me of this.
Love all the blood, the splatters on the wall and the pavement, soaking the coppers shirt, and running into the drain. The dog looks very evil, and the cop looks very....dead. I like it alot. If I had crit, it would be....textures could be a little better, on the floor and wall, the drain cover etc, slight stretching in places, and maybe some spec mapping and extra modelling to add a bit of 'relief' to the surfaces. Perhaps some occlusion to shadow where the wall meets the pavement. And I wasnt (and still am not) sure about the vignetting effect along the bottom and to the right. Cant decide if that works for me.

Eye_Graffix. Again, as above, simple but effective, another fun image, and good in the horror-y sense. This fits in to me with that kind of childish humourous horror like 'Chuckie' or 'IT'. Strong composition with the moon massive in the background. Nice with the grass in the foreground and the gravestones all skewed at angles. I like his expression and the way he's leaning, holding the dismembered leg. Really cool. Like has been said above, some extra texture work would have added alot to stop the image being so black and white I think, and, is it me, or is there some strange artifacting going on in the geometry of the building? Really cool this overall though. When I voted for speedy, this was in the running also, along with ....

Wessley. As I think Dave Rave pointed out near the beginning of this comp, the point was to create a horror creature?? On that criteria alone(and perhaps I owe you an apology for not voting for you if so) I think this is the best. Of all the evil going on in these pictures and the characters behind them, your character hits closest to the mark for me in terms of 'horror'.

I think several people here struggled with the time they had to work on this, and if there was more, I reckon you could make this into something really cool. Cool name too user added image

Dango: I really like yours, but as has been said, having seen so much of the other work you did during the first half of the competition, its hard not to miss it when looking at the final. I really like though, like Speedy's, the richness of the blood, and the overall contrast , and the expression is great. I find it to crit head models as I have never really build a full realistic human head just in Maya, but it looks really good to me. Just, as I reckon you've probably got by now (user added image sorry man) it's hard not to see just 15-20% of all the work you actually did. Remember the awesomeness of your skateboarder animation and the spaceship challenge....

Tweet.

I think like, Dango's, what we see at the end is not really a fair reflection of all the work you did. In the final image, I quite like the strong primary colours, but extra texturing would make it wicked I think. It looks like the geometry is fairly simple so you would have a good base to really go to town (if that was the look you'd be after - or maybe thats just what I would do). Really strong model though, and again as has been said, hope to see more of the project when/if you get to finish it.