Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 10-04-2008 , 06:03 PM

Tool Names and Synonyms

Hey everyone, I'm new to Maya, and new here and I'm hoping for a forum that has patience for my ridiculously simple and trivial questions.

I find my self constantly looking for tools but not knowing the name. You would think that using the F1, then using the search function would be suficient, but Maya's help function isn;t very useful.

Is there a place/method to look up tools and the actual names for options in the menu?

# 2 10-04-2008 , 08:02 PM
well most times the tools are named for what they do...

if you want to take a polygon and split it into pieces, use the split polygon tool, things like that.

where to find them becomes a little more complex, but in the help files you could probably look up 'polygon' and search the help and it would probably list all the tools and describe what they do.

Accept no substitutions.
# 3 11-04-2008 , 10:15 AM
i think maya's help tool is pretty helpful - the information is there if you look for it.

what tools exactly are you looking for?

# 4 11-04-2008 , 04:19 PM
if he knew that he wouldn't be running into problems, would he? user added image

Accept no substitutions.
# 5 11-04-2008 , 04:23 PM
user added image i just thought he might try describing them for us.

# 6 12-04-2008 , 11:42 AM
I was looking for a free-draw polygon tool to make more complicated shapes.

Its conveniently named the "Make Polygon Tool"

thanks though user added image