Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 02-03-2011 , 09:16 AM
Subscriber

March Challenge - Environment - Chirone

Might give this a go.. might not finish as well...

I was thinking of a canyon where on the edges of the cliffs are houses and connecting between two cliffs is a web of bridges and wires.

why anyone would want to build a town inside a canyon I do not know...
maybe they like the fish in the river below, or maybe they just like how no one would bother them because no one would want to go walking in a strange place that looks like it's going to fall apart...

This place would be pretty high up in the sky so it would be windy and the houses would most likely only be made of wood
There would also be one tunnel leading in and out of the place.

also... what can you do with a curve that you drew on a live surface? you cant use it for the extrude along curve thing with polygons...

Attached Thumbnails

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 2 02-03-2011 , 11:26 AM
Lifetime Member
hmmmmmm reminds me of a game.....good luck mate

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 3 02-03-2011 , 05:29 PM
EduSciVis-er
If you duplicate the curve (and delete hist), does it then let you do whatever with it?

# 4 02-03-2011 , 08:13 PM
Subscriber
Bullet, forgot to mention, this is based on the game Nier, there's a town called the Aerie which is like this

stwert, nope... there's no history on the curve to delete... and if i duplicate it the duplicate curve is also stuck on the surface with no history...

Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
# 5 02-03-2011 , 08:15 PM
EduSciVis-er
What about extract or something?

# 6 02-03-2011 , 08:16 PM
Subscriber
i think i tried doing extract but nothing happened. unless i did it wrong...

# 7 02-03-2011 , 08:23 PM
.. just curious what makes a surface "live" and what benefits does that have?

# 8 02-03-2011 , 08:27 PM
Subscriber
All i know is that if you make a surface live (edit > make surface live, i think, dont have maya atm) you can draw curves and paint fx on it.
I thought maybe I could draw a curve and then use it to do a extrude along curve...

so i made the surface live, drew the curve, made it not live, and then the curve didnt do anything other than give errors saying it can't be used for what i wanted to use it for...

# 9 03-03-2011 , 10:16 AM
Subscriber
minor update

Attached Thumbnails

# 10 03-03-2011 , 10:40 AM
Lifetime Member
LOL I dont know the game per se' but I must have seen it somewhere. Excuse me for being an idiot right now but WHAT were you trying to achieve with the curve and surface...sorry mate I am slow sometimes....looking at your images I 'assume' you were teying to do someting with the tunnel entrance (cone) or the bridge??

cheers bullet

I am curious about this little error thing you had going...

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 11 03-03-2011 , 08:27 PM
Subscriber
i dont think i ever explained what I was trying to do with the curve, i thought to make the curve and then since it followed the cliff perfectly i could then make the platforms to follow the curve of the mountain better.
but now that I think about it, I'm going to need a different approach since the platforms that the houses are on would be made of wooden planks

but i'd still like to know what you can do with a curve that's stuck on a surface...

# 12 03-03-2011 , 09:18 PM
Lifetime Member
I will have a go at it during lunchbreak...out of curiosity mate....see what happens

cheers bullet

bullet1968

# 13 04-03-2011 , 01:23 AM
Lifetime Member
Hey Chirone...I dont know what the hell Im doing BUT...I did a mountain surface...then drew a curve across it (for the planks) then created a poly rectangle and tried to extrude along it...it wouldnt do it...hmmm BUT I then turned the curve into a B-spline...then extruded the face and it worked...kinda...I got some funky stuff happening...Im at work so gotta go...so I got it to work sort of...sorry I couldnt help mate.

cheers bullet

Attached Thumbnails

bullet1968

# 14 04-03-2011 , 01:59 AM
Subscriber
Hey thanks bullet, your assistance is much appreciated!

thats quite an interesting result you got there.

I wonder now if I can animate along the curve, because if I can then that would be useful as well... I'll try animation for making the wooden platforms and bridges next time I get to work on this

# 15 04-03-2011 , 02:09 AM
Lifetime Member
For some reason the extrusion seems to close on itself...though physically there wasnt a closed curve hhmmmmm yeh try the animation see how it goes!

cheers bullet

bullet1968