Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 25-05-2007 , 03:54 PM

Models parts move where they shouldn't

Hi, I'm having a problem with animation in Maya. When ever I have made a model of a human character, and animate it using bones and joints, I move the model's arms down in a casual position, and some parts that are close to the model's arms (like the head, hair, and eyes) move also. Plus the textures get very distorted. If someone knows a way of fixing this problem, it would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks
- Tammy

# 2 25-05-2007 , 11:17 PM
Senior Software Developer
This is to do with painting Weights. When you rig and bind a character to the mesh, the skeleton will place its "influences" onto the geometry and the point of binding. You then need to go through the entire model adding and removing the weights to get the geometry to move correctly.

Mike goes through this extensivly in his character rigging tutorial that is downloadable for SM.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)