Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 28-12-2007 , 08:03 PM
Subscriber

My first head

Hey all

Well posted my ear a few weeks ago and havnt had much time over christmas, but finally got a bit of time to finish up my head today. This is about my third model i think now, and my first attempt at a head. I spent quite a bit of time trying to get the topology right but i got to the point where i had just made a few too many mistakes early on and couldnt fix them without starting large parts from scratch. Kinda cut my loses and just finished it up. I'll certainly be more aware of my geometry from the start next time.

Anyway, here ya go - put a screen of the poly wire aswel so you can see what i mean.

All crits welcome user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 28-12-2007 , 08:05 PM
Subscriber

Attached Thumbnails
# 3 28-12-2007 , 08:11 PM
Subscriber
hmm somethings playing up cos i added 3 images and 1 of them twice now :s on my screen only 2 are appearing so i apologise if it has spammed pics user added image

# 4 29-12-2007 , 01:33 AM
Topology looks pretty good except for the mouth - that area needs some work. And overall the proportions are way off, check a lot of references for more realism.

# 5 29-12-2007 , 08:54 AM
Subscriber
I agree with DjBlazer.
I have noticed that alot of the time when people make heads they have a habit of modeling the mouth like a circle in the way you would model an eye. It makes it pinch at the edge and look really unnatural.
Try studying the features of who you are modeling and definitely use all the references you can find. There are plenty of sites out there or you could just take your own.

"If Less is more then think how much more more would be..."

Winner June 2009 Spaceship Challenge
# 6 29-12-2007 , 12:25 PM
Subscriber
ok thanks guys. However with the proportions - i used a front and side image plains and the model matches perfectly.

Ah but yeh ive just loaded it up again and the nose doesnt seem to be quite wide enough and although the mouth opening seem fine the mouth in general (maily lips) dont seem big enough. And obviously the slight forehead problem.

Attached Thumbnails
# 7 29-12-2007 , 12:31 PM
Hi there Ginga

For a first go its pretty good. On the part with matching references its important to note that it might match refs in the front and side views etc but these do not show an accurate representation, its well worth looking in the persp view as well as gaterhing lots of ref for the character that your after so you can get the perspectives correct for where the contours change, such as the cheaks and the forehead, in the fornt and side they look fine but in perspective it might be off.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 8 19-01-2008 , 04:40 AM
nice work for your first time .. look for this image as a reference and try to model it ... GO ON......

Attached Thumbnails

You Deserve