Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 09-02-2011 , 10:36 PM

Modelling a castle door

Hi,

I'm learning to use Maya as part of a University course (I'm very new to it) and one of my assignments is to model a door of my choosing, I found a picture of a castle door which seemed good for modelling, I've messed around a bit modelling some parts of the door but don't know how to do it properly. I was just wondering if I could get some advice about how to go about modelling and texturing the door properly, any help would be much appreciated.

Here's the picture I'm planning to use:
user added image

and here's the things I've modeled so far:
user added image

Thanks

# 2 10-02-2011 , 12:43 AM
Lifetime Member
The little wall on the left looks like its on an angle from the wall...it should be 90° off of the wall...unless its my eyes? I would start the door with a simple cube, 4 divisions and shape it that way...the top of the door wont be a perfect point. You appear to have started on the blocks around the archway?? and look to be trying to chisel the deformations out to match a real block...if you have...dont. Just block out basic shapes and get the shape right first...ie like building lego.

I would think texture wise this isnt hard but certainly not easy...I think a displacement map would be the way to go so you can utilise the bricks odd shapes to give you real depth when you light the scene...anyone else think the same?

Get the basics right first and then you can build on that.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 3 10-02-2011 , 10:46 AM
The Nurb Herd
texturing should be easy. just project it. user added image
i can tell you how when you get to that bit.