good 6 37.50%
yay 5 31.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 13-12-2003 , 08:21 AM

dodge this

hey guys and gals

this is my attempt to mod a dodge viper maya poly mod all the way and rendered with brazil 1.0

obj2max

and yes max sucks
let me what u think so far

does anyone know of a good tut for tyres displaement mapped et al

thanks in advance

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 13-12-2003 , 08:23 AM
another view

Attached Thumbnails
# 3 13-12-2003 , 08:52 AM
looks like you've got an excellent start there. keep it up and this will be quite a nice model.

one suggestion is to never let your rendering program render to a JPG, they usually give terrible results (as you can see with your overly compressed images). it's better to save them as TGA or PNG and then use something else (like Xat.com's image optimizers) to make a jpg.
if you'd done that intentionally then it's understandable and ignore what i just wrote user added image

Car-maker.
Check out my releases for RACER.
see the WWW button
# 4 13-12-2003 , 09:01 AM
Subscriber
Looks like some great work.. I'm just wondering why your exporting to max. at least thats what I think you said.. Is it to use the Brazil render ?? Ya know I think there is a 3rd party part to brazil for maya.. might save ya some truble.. but if you get acurat results who cares.. also MentalRay could do this just as well I belive.. just thinking you could save some steps but its no biggy..

Also I can see the qualtiy can be there.. I don't know if its the aliasing settings or the jpg comprestion terned up to high, but it looks like one of them needs to be terned up..

It looks like its going to be great !! really..

about the tyres.. just my .02 but I would NOT displacement map them.. do a little of the geo buy hand and duplicat around.. it will look much better IMHO.. and it will not slow down the render nearly as much.. little more work. but not much considering..

if you were using PRMan I would say displacement map all the way baby.. as its abiltys with it is wonderfull so I hear..

BTW pro looking stuf so far !!

# 5 13-12-2003 , 09:38 AM
thanks for the crits guys appreciate them

pony-"3rd party part to brazil for maya" i have no idea if there is one could u pls tell em what and where

i used brazil to render because its easy to setup and gives a quick render -i dont have mental ray user added image

f50- thanks for the info dude but it was an intentional jpeg render this whole project is just a skill test

lemme know if i can help u guys out in any way

# 6 13-12-2003 , 10:30 AM
Subscriber
the zed, the 3rd party to brazil I just have herd it is out there.. I haven't seen it my self.
if your using maya 4.5 you can get the MentalRay 1.5.1 for it for free from the Alias sight.. I'v herd though they don't have it now on the USA sight but It was still on there japines sight 2 weeks ago.. and v5 comes with it..

I'll see if I can dig up more info about the 3rd party to brazil. although the export to max to use it looks like its working good for ya..

# 7 16-12-2003 , 12:58 AM
I am pretty sure this was modelled in MAX. No other way to have an "Easy Setup to Brazil" than that.

edit, Might want to turn on AA

# 8 16-12-2003 , 06:51 PM

Originally posted by f50
looks like you've got an excellent start there. keep it up and this will be quite a nice model.

one suggestion is to never let your rendering program render to a JPG, they usually give terrible results (as you can see with your overly compressed images). it's better to save them as TGA or PNG and then use something else (like Xat.com's image optimizers) to make a jpg.
if you'd done that intentionally then it's understandable and ignore what i just wrote user added image

I render to JPG all the time and get great results. ???
While TGA will give you optimal reults, it's not entirely necessary, especially for a W.I.P. pic. Lots of steps you have to take thru your suggestion to achieve the same end result with a few rendering tweaks. user added image

ZED: You got a great start there. Keep it going. And I too am curious why you would export to MAX to render when you can get the same results with Maya and Mental Ray. ??? Yes, MAX's renderer is way faster than Maya's but if you want to save yourself the trouble... user added image

Why not model the tires instead of displace map them? DP is costly and very consuming. Takes a long time to render sometimes. And if you dont have a speedy computer, could crash it. Just model it. Do a small section of the tire and duplicate it around and axis to complete the whole tire. user added image

BTW: Max does not suck.

Dave Baer
Professor of Digital Arts
Digital Media Arts College
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu