Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 22-09-2011 , 05:51 AM
Subscriber

Probleme to clean my mesh

user added image
Hello,

I begin with Maya 2012; on the picture attached you can see my first mesh (a fox snout)... which is not perfect ! When I smooth it, I can detect some problems on the mesh. I want to know if Maya can clean this mesh, or do I have to do it myself manually ? (For exemple there are 2 triangular polygons and and a problem of vertex or edge).
Thank you for your help.

Attached Images
# 2 22-09-2011 , 06:51 AM
The thin red line
The only thing I can think is there are some loose verts in there, if before you smooth mesh select verts and have a look at those areas if you see a vert on a edge without any supporting edges delete them, this can happen if you delete a edge with the delete button you should delete a edge using the "Edit mesh then delete edge/Vert"...........dave

# 3 22-09-2011 , 08:16 AM
Lifetime Member
You could also select all verts and 'Edit Mesh>Merge' just watch the settings for the proximity in the merge option box...I set mine to 0.001....or 0.01. Also you could select all verts except those on a terminating edge...ie back loop of snout..then hit delete. Otherwise as dave suggested and look for vert numbers in the unsmoothed model. Highlight where you think they are in the wierd parts and look at the vert count...

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 4 22-09-2011 , 09:18 AM
The Nurb Herd
if you have a triangle on your mesh and then smooth, the triangle becomes a quad.

# 5 22-09-2011 , 01:20 PM
Technical Director
When you perform a smooth operation, it uses something called the Catmull-Clark algorithm. This algorithm will always result in quadrilateral faces. If small faces like the ones you're seeing occur, it means that there are some unmerged, floating vertices in the mesh.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 6 22-09-2011 , 02:16 PM
The Nurb Herd
the algorithm used when smoothing is called Catmull-Clark. if you have a triangle on your mesh and then smooth, the result is a quad. On the bottom right image you can see on the second edge loop from the left that there are probably a couple of un-merged vertices.

# 7 22-09-2011 , 02:38 PM
Technical Director

When you perform a smooth operation, it uses something called the Catmull-Clark algorithm.

the algorithm used when smoothing is called Catmull-Clark.

Ha, Copier user added image

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 8 23-09-2011 , 05:35 AM
Subscriber

Thank you

Thank you for all these answers, I will try to resolve this ! user added image

# 9 02-10-2011 , 08:42 PM
The Nurb Herd

Ha, Copier user added image

Haha, yes. sorry just so it doesn't look like i'm "parroting" what you were saying, i should clarify.

I was just having a joke with myself.

you see, i posted

if you have a triangle on your mesh and then smooth, the triangle becomes a quad.

and then you posted

When you perform a smooth operation, it uses something called the Catmull-Clark algorithm. This algorithm will always result in quadrilateral faces.

which is what i said, but with some extra information and bigger words.

So i then copied your post and my post and put them together to make a super answer.
pretty crap joke, i know. user added image

# 10 02-10-2011 , 09:41 PM
Another option would be to try and run a mesh>clean and select non-manifold geometry, laminar and zero area faces. These are the most common things that can cause serious errors and can be tricky to isolate.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 03-10-2011 at 01:14 AM.