Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 12-10-2016 , 04:27 AM

1 material vs many

I'm going to try my hand at creating some simple game assets and want to start off with prefab ground cubes. For each ground cube, top = simple hand-painted grass texture, sides = simple hand-painted dirt texture, bottom = plain dirt texture (maybe just a solid dirt color).

I've heard that it's best to keep UV's inside the 1x1 UV texture space. If I do that, I'll have to make separate materials for each ground prefab since the size difference can be huge.

For example, if my largest ground cube is 2000W x 2000L X 10H and my smallest is 10W x 10L x 10H, then having both UV's in the 1x1 uv space doesn't make sense. If I size the large cube to fit in the 1x1 space, then my small cube's UV's would have to be so small, i'm not sure I'd even be able to see them.

So, do I make separate materials for each ground cube so that I can scale the uv's independently of each other, even though I'm using the same textures for each one? This just doesn't seem very efficient to me.

Anyone able to tell me what the standard way of doing it would be?

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!