Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 21-10-2016 , 06:10 PM

2D vector illustration as 3D

Hello.
I have an Adobe Illustrator drawing that I want to make as a plane that's rotating into space.
I am new to Maya and it's giving me headaches.
Can anyone help?

# 2 21-10-2016 , 06:46 PM
3D Generalist
if you have access to after effects, try doing it there - a really quick job

if i had to do it in maya,
i would export illustrator file as a hi res .png image (4k) and assign it to a shader in maya (surface shader). Assign shader to a poly plane, make a basic animation and render it out.

but really for a task like that one - since you use illustrator i assume u use Photoshop.
try looking up a tutorial on youtube animating in photoshop. It will get you what you need. Photoshop can do basic animations, it can do that

here, there is a simmilar topic
https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36947

# 3 21-10-2016 , 09:25 PM
OH, it worked out. now i have to figure out what do i do with the lighting
i use the graphic in a custom augmented reality software. when I load the image into the software it doesn't look like the graphic. what kind of shader is best?
what about lighting?

# 4 21-10-2016 , 10:09 PM
3D Generalist
ok i get the issue, vr
i didnt know what you were planing to do with it.

ok instead of using surface shader, assign a regular Lambert shader and try to import in vr. Also maybe dont use .png, use a normal jpg image. Try it out

if it is still dark in vr, than in material attributes of the lambert material change the value of ambiant to maximum and try to import to vr. this should work

if it still doesnt work than check vr system you are using. it really depends from the vr system.

# 5 21-10-2016 , 10:19 PM
i tried all the shaders. i know for shure that the object can look just like it looks like in illustrator, but i don't know how to do it.
there must be some thing i am missing out.

Last edited by motzei; 21-10-2016 at 10:19 PM. Reason: spell check :)