Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 76 03-03-2004 , 01:42 AM
A question,

When adding light to a scene, you have like one main light for each area, like the kitchen, tv, lamp, chrarcters etc, I add more lights to the areas around the glow lights to light the scene more. And the glow light has a shadow map which is the main light, the question is do I add a shsdow map to the other around the main glow-light? Because I think there is to many shadow for every main glow-light. But it seem to be to bright in my scene if I don't use shadow maps for those little light.

So what do you guys think about this? Is there a better way to do this?

I think this maybe the reason it take to long to render, because maya has to render all the math involving in all the little shadows.

# 77 03-03-2004 , 02:46 AM
Hey guysuser added image

Well here another update for ya all.

There about 50 point lights, and about 10 - 15 of other lights, is that to much, it dose not seem right to have that many lights in one room/scene. The flame from the gun did not glow like I wanted it to for whatever reason user added image, the tv and lamp glowed fine, maybe even to much, well I thought they did. With low quality anti-aliasing, 800 by 600 in size, this scene below, which is one frame took 95 minutes to render!

There is 67587 faces, could that be why it takes so long?

Attached Thumbnails
# 78 03-03-2004 , 10:13 AM
50 point lights?! dude that's far too many! Why have you got such a hotspot on the roof in that area?

You can light link certain lights so that they only light certain geometry that would speed things up a bit. The best way to light is to start in complete darkness and then slowly add lights that illuminate your scene until you are happy with it. You really shouldnt be needing 50 point lights! user added image
Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 79 03-03-2004 , 11:05 AM
Pure_Morning,

You know what man, I turned down the bightnes and turned up the contrast, which befor I had it the other way around. Now I can see what you guys are talking about!

So what I did about 4 hours ago was open a new scene, cerated a few objects inside a cube like a room, and played around with all the lighting one by one. After two hours of that I got a better Idea of how the lights work. So then I want to reopen my kitchen scene and deleted all the lights, and now I'm starting out with volvme light, which I had non of those before in my scene, and what a big different that is already! When I was playing around with all the lights earlier I fond that I could scale them to cover more area, which I found only certain lights can do that! Instead of useing 5 to 10 point lights I can now use one volvme light!

And the rendering takes less then a minute now with almost the some kind of lighting I had before, but I think it looks better now already then it look before with just the 5 lights I have now!

Anyway, I will have a big light update soon. user added image

P.S. Hope you guys will be able to see now with the new update! In fact I hope I will be able to see lol :p

Last edited by vedic kings; 03-03-2004 at 11:15 AM.
# 80 03-03-2004 , 12:32 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by vedic kings
rich,

Were you going to give a link?

Sorry, got pulled into a meeting at work... anyway, here's the link I used calibrate my monitors.

Monitor Calibration

That'll do donkey... that'll do...
# 81 03-03-2004 , 01:10 PM
rich,

Thanks for the linkuser added image I think my monitor is good now.

You guys tell me, is this image to dark?

So far there are only 6 light, and there is only one point at this time.

This is just the beginning of the new light setup.

Attached Thumbnails
# 82 03-03-2004 , 01:12 PM
Subscriber
much better! user added image

That'll do donkey... that'll do...
# 83 03-03-2004 , 02:37 PM
scaling your lights only affects some types e.g. area or volume lights. It wont affect a point light because it emits evenly in all directions and there's no decay (unless you set it of course). So I dont think scaling is the solution but if it seems to work for you then great.

It's good that you're thinking about your lighting though and not just turning on raytracing and calling it finished user added image

IMDB
# 84 04-03-2004 , 05:19 AM

# 85 04-03-2004 , 11:53 AM

IMDB
# 86 04-03-2004 , 12:09 PM
damn i love legacy of kain, Raz being the coolest user added image although Kain is pretty cool aswell, not sure who i like most... you played Defiance? it's the mutt's nuts

# 87 04-03-2004 , 06:17 PM
Subscriber
It definitely rocks!
Such detail on the computer kepyboard. Sweeeeet!

# 88 05-03-2004 , 01:31 PM
Hey guys,

Pure_Morning,

Thanks for the link, good stuff.

Zyk0tiK,

I like raz the most. Oh yeah I bought LOK: Defiance the day it came out! And I loved it!

gth1976,

Thanks manuser added image

Well the lighting has been a hard one for me so far, and I'm still working it, as this is the first time I really work with the lighting, or had to really think about how to set it up to look good. The reason the lighting part is so difficult for me is because this is my first complete scene with chrarcters in it.

At this point there is about 15 to 20 lights, mostly point lights and area light and one spot light.

I still have more work to do, but here an update for ya all:

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by vedic kings; 05-03-2004 at 01:50 PM.
# 89 05-03-2004 , 01:32 PM
view 2:

Attached Thumbnails
# 90 05-03-2004 , 01:34 PM
view 3:

Attached Thumbnails