Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 16 27-03-2004 , 09:31 PM
Hey, dont hace time to read it now but i will read it off line and post some coments tomorow, It looks realy nice, newer tryed stich modeling, maybe ill try it with this your!!! Keep it up mate

Best resolt would come, if every one in the group are doing what is best for himself and the group!!

Sorry for bad English, See ya
dead mosquito-blog-on english too
# 17 28-03-2004 , 02:26 AM
Update:

- modeled ear + attached to head

Learned:

- check the normals before combining poly objects!

Modeling the ear was not as bad as I thought. I spent most of the time trying to rework the network so I could attach it to the head with as few edges as possible and maintain all quad sided polys. I also blew a couple hours scratching my head trying to understand why the ears would not merge edges with the head, until I discovered that the normals were reversed.

The final ear ended up with 174 quad polys per ear. A pair of ears adds 348 polys to the model and almost doubles the poly count.

This is now my first complete head (less hair which will be modeled seperately). The total quad poly count for the entire head is 810.

Special thanks to Mike McKinley for his ear tutorial.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by ctbram; 28-03-2004 at 05:39 AM.
# 18 28-03-2004 , 02:33 AM
4 view -

Attached Thumbnails
# 19 28-03-2004 , 02:35 AM
4 view w/ wireframe on shaded -

Attached Thumbnails
# 20 28-03-2004 , 02:45 AM
4 view w/wireframe on shaded of the EAR -

Attached Thumbnails
# 21 28-03-2004 , 06:33 AM
Like how you maked ear here is mine but i maked it in poly metod,
keep it up,

Attached Thumbnails

Best resolt would come, if every one in the group are doing what is best for himself and the group!!

# 22 28-03-2004 , 07:32 AM
...Thanks Ankalagon.

Update:

- added hair

I cheated here. I modeled the hair but I used the layout from the version modeled in the book "Mastering Maya 3" by John Kundert-Gibbs and Peter Lee as a pattern.

I did not have any trouble modeling the 86 nurbs patchs that make up the hair. But getting them layered and looking right from all angles was hidiously difficult.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by ctbram; 28-03-2004 at 12:14 PM.
# 23 28-03-2004 , 08:03 AM

# 24 28-03-2004 , 06:59 PM
Who haw maked the sketch of the boy?? You sad that you can`t drow wery nice!

# 25 28-03-2004 , 11:27 PM
The reference pictures are from a book "Mastering Maya 3" by John Kundert-Gibbs and Peter Lee.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 26 29-03-2004 , 07:38 AM
Is that book just abauth modeling or is for everything, i whant too buy some book for maya and i don`t know for what too go, is that book jor first one or you have learned with some other at beginning? Witch book doo you suggest? THX in advance

# 27 29-03-2004 , 09:42 AM
The book is a bit on the old side (written for version 3 of Maya).

As a reference to Maya user interface and commands it is a pretty good book. I find that the tutorials are not really that good. They cover a lot of basic stuff but skip over a lot a details.

For instance the modeling of the boys head and body are covered in advanced sections at the end of several chapters and they really condense it down to giving you a very rough outline of the process and then it is up to you to figure the rest out. (In fact I generated the radial head using a completely different method then the one used in the book)

The hair is a good example of how weak the tutorial sections are; the entire section on how to model the boys hair consists of telling you to make simple nurbs strips and arrange them in a way that looks right. If I did not have the model of the hair they gave on the CD as a guide I would have never been able to complete my version of it.

As for a recommendation I have not found a book that I really consider worth recommending. I own - Mastering Maya 3, Maya Fundamentals 4, and Maya Character Animation and I use them all as a kind a reference to the Maya interface but find them all weak in the tutorial areas.

What I am still looking for is a book that goes from start to finish of a complete maya character project including - modeling, uv mapping, texturing, rigging and animation.

But I would settle for a book 100% deadicated to modeling.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 30-03-2004 at 11:42 PM.
# 28 31-03-2004 , 09:07 PM
Hey mate where is the next part of your tutorial on your site, update it mate, Dou you know some book that is for modeling from step one too finished project, and the book that have learning subject for SUB-d, Nurbs and Polygons??? If you know please tell, I sow dwd tutorial for making elephant, but it comes on dwd witch i don`t have and the price is abouth 60 euro, I will send you the link if you whant too see it, that dwd set is from step one too finished model, textured and all, Keep updateing mate nice work on head

# 29 01-04-2004 , 05:12 AM
Thanks Ankalagon,

I have all the images along the process but it does not appear many are interested in this project. I think there haev only been 3 people that have commented on it.

I will probably just start a new project and maybe I will document that one. There does not seem to be enough interest in this one.

# 30 01-04-2004 , 06:57 AM
I started this thread as a kind of docu-torial.

I have all the staqes of the process I used to create the final head model (shown above) and planned to post them as 2 additional html documents on my web site.

However, there have only been about 3 comments on this thread and I am not sure anyone would really be interested in the part 2 and part 3 html documents?