Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 28-08-2005 , 06:48 PM
Subscriber

how to correct this error

this is the error when rendering sub d in Mental Ray
// Error: (Mayatomr.Geometry) : BoyHeadShape, non-quadrilateral face in subdivision surface base mesh not supported, ignored //
// Error: (Mayatomr.Geometry) : DuctShape, non-quadrilateral face in subdivision surface base mesh not supported, ignored //

Can anyone help me why I cant render this sub d?
I have converted it to polys and done a clean up but still the same error.

Cheers all

It is by my will alone I set my mind in motion
# 2 29-08-2005 , 01:44 AM
Technical Director
mentral ray dosnt really like subds. if you want it to work, all the faces have to be quads. have fun :S

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 3 29-08-2005 , 02:02 AM
If you can't find the triangles use collapse hierachy of your sub-d mesh although this will create alot more geometry so where possible find and split the triangles.

Adam

# 4 29-08-2005 , 07:46 AM
Subscriber
thanks guys

# 5 29-08-2005 , 08:24 AM
Subscriber
emmm, when I callapse the sub d all my UV's become messed up, looks a right mess.

# 6 29-08-2005 , 10:44 AM
Subscriber
Hi there.

A better way to render sub-d's in Mental Ray is to use Mental Ray sub-d's by attaching an approximation mesh node to your objects. This is really simple to do and I've explained how to use it here:

https://forum.simplymaya.com/showthre...090#post164090

The lower the value you use for the length , the smoother the sub-d will be, but it will take longer to calculate. The other advantage to this is that you can UV map the low poly mesh, and Mental Ray will still apply the texture correctly to the sub-d, whereas with Maya sub-d's you have to UV map the sub-d surface to stop the texures from going wierd.

Hope this will solve your problem.

LisaG user added image

When in doubt......smile!

https://www.x-menthelaststand.com/
# 7 29-08-2005 , 05:41 PM
Subscriber
Lisa,
can I convince you to post that in the tips and tricks thread... I think this is a really useful tip.

Regards,
Michael

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."