Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 08-12-2009 , 08:20 PM

Modelling

Is There a certain way of modelling something or can you try different ways and what are the things you have to remember when modelling

# 2 08-12-2009 , 08:26 PM
Level 32 pachyderm
That's one heck of a question that really doenst have a simple quick answer
I usually find most beginner books teach box modeling first (but I haven't used it since (but I admit there were instances where I should have)) where you extrude a cube over and over, scaling and transforming as you go
Another popular method is to start with a sphere or cylinder, and shape it into what you want, added edge loops to get more detail

At the end of the day people just do what they prefer.

# 3 09-12-2009 , 03:17 AM
there are a lot of ways to model - like elephantic said, box modeling. another popular method is extrude method, where u place a small plane on the surface and keep on extruding the edges as per the loops and go on building the surface- this is much preferable method. i heard that box modeling might be problematic in sum way in productions user added image (can anyone verify/comment on this???), and so extrude method is much preferred. again, using the primitive types (plane/box/sphere etc) depend solely on the modeler him/herself, as to which one s/he fells easy to work with.
edge loops and details might be the most imp things to remember.

projects of my company
3D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPTmThoCrIY&feature=related - project - disney diwali (india based company)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSAfzqMBHqs&feature=related - project - 2 medhak (Public Service Ad)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMLR2L-swZo - project - ace bank commercial
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZogNsf8k-xU - project - company Profile
2D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82xV3bII9bU - project - (a fren named jimmy)
# 4 09-12-2009 , 10:12 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by elephantinc
That's one heck of a question that really doenst have a simple quick answer

actually the quick answer is 'no'...

the full answer is 'no, this part of the world is not black and white. there are guidelines and principles but there is no (like everything else) this-is-how-you-do-it-there-is-only-this-way-and-you-should-only-ever-use-this-way rule'

to be blunt... no one cares about how you got there, just what it looks like.

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 5 09-12-2009 , 05:26 PM
EduSciVis-er

Originally posted by Chirone
to be blunt... no one cares about how you got there, just what it looks like.

Well.............. what if you're passing off a model to a rigger or animator? I'm sure they'd care about your topology and how you organized your scene.

Which results in the point that it really matters what the model will be used for. Still image? Rigging? Demo reel? Sold on turbosquid? Animating with soft bodies?

# 6 09-12-2009 , 06:18 PM
Super Moderator
Add game content to the list.

- Genny
# 7 09-12-2009 , 06:29 PM
Technical Director

Originally posted by effacer
i heard that box modeling might be problematic in sum way in productions user added image (can anyone verify/comment on this???), and so extrude method is much preferred.

I have to disagree with you on this. Box modeling gives the art director a better sense of what you're doing, with only a few hours of work. However with the edge extrude method, It may take days for you to make the model, just to have tonnes of notes piled on it; and have to start again, as the edge extrude method usually accumulates high poly counts, which are then hard to modify later.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 8 09-12-2009 , 06:34 PM
To be honest theres lots of ways to get to the final result, Box, prim shaping and extruding.

The best way in my mind is to be open and see what fits for you and just practice, you'll end up getting into your own workflow.

When it comes to topology the best way is to look at your peers, have a look on the topology theread here as well as on other sites.

Keep in mind what the final output will be used for, if its just a model then the overall topology is possibly not important though I would say that decent topology is a must for most processes. It allows felxability in the final output.

For example, you could easily go for a "model", make a cube and get a very basic shape without regard to the edge flow, then go to Zbrush and not care, just up the poly count suclpt and get a good result, however, it would be well worth getting decent topology with enough geo in the areas of detial so that you DONT need to go to the uber high levels to describe the form, use them for adding the detials.

Generally I go for getting good topology in ther at the base level. As for how you get there its up to you, just remember theres more than one way to get to the same output so get a good knowledge base of the differing methods.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle