Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 25-07-2010 , 11:52 PM

Extruded polygon face textures as a separate object

Hi,

Thank you to everybody who helped out with my last question. Everyone's suggestions are greatly appreciated.

My current problem relates to the same model as before and is related to my previous problem but is different in nature.

I created a polygon podracer with lots of extruding, moving, scaling and finally smoothing.

At some point thereafter I noticed holes in the model.

I patched said holes with mesh/fill hole. Some holes, however, would not fill.

For these holes I extruded an edge and then snapped the vertices to other existing vertices on the model. Everything seemed fine until I tried to apply the texture that was already applied to the rest of the object. Instead of texturing as part of the existing object, the newly extruded face textured like a separate object. See attached images.

What do I need to do to get the newly extruded face to texture as part of the existing polygon object?

Cheers

Tom

# 2 25-07-2010 , 11:56 PM

Images

Missing images from original post

Attached Thumbnails
# 3 26-07-2010 , 03:07 AM
EduSciVis-er
Have you laid out the UVs for this model? If so, check where these faces are in the UV map, and try sewing them into the main model. If not... well that's what you'll have to do. Look up the Maya help if you need a quick tutorial.

# 4 26-07-2010 , 01:44 PM
The Nurb Herd
extruding creates a new face. that face hasn't been uv'd. you need to add the new faces into your UV shell.
i guess an easy way would be scaling the face down to size and then move and sew the edges. finish up with an unfold if you need to.

# 5 01-08-2010 , 08:19 PM
Guys,

Thanks for the replies.

Just as you pointed out, this was a case of editing the model after the UV map had been made and not updating the UV map to accommodate that change.

I didn't realise that the UV map needed updating as I didn't think I had changed the model from the original. I thought I had just replaced an existing part of the model. You live and learn.

I didn't get a chance to sew the UVs as I had to redo the entire UV map to accommodate some bigger changes.

Your help is much appreciated.

Cheers

Tom