Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 29-04-2004 , 03:21 PM

Holding C++ variable in MEL script

Hi,

Does any one knows how to hold a C++ variable in MEL script.
I made a plug-in that connects MAYA to other software, and when the command ends I'm loosing the connection. I want to hold the connection alive and for that I must hold a C++ variable in the MEL script or to find away that one MEL plug-in recognize variable from another.

Does any of you have an idea?

Thanks

Yaki

# 2 29-04-2004 , 03:33 PM
return it from a function and have the mel script call it? I'm not sure how easy that is as I havent really played wit hte API much, but I'm sure you can do it.

Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 3 29-04-2004 , 03:38 PM
Alan,

Thanks for the answer, the problem is when I return it to the MEL script I need to hold it in a MEL variable, and I don't know how to define a MEL variable that holds such var (e.g. Connection). I tried to make a simple case to trasfer and get a String Var and coulndn't make it.
I'm quite lost so any help will be welcome....

Thanks again
Yaki

# 4 29-04-2004 , 03:39 PM
so you can't stroe it in a string in MEL? that's weird. Can you assign the string at all? cause then you can make the connectino in maya and plugit back together.

Alan

IMDB
# 5 29-04-2004 , 03:44 PM
I managed to store the stirng as MAYA string, but the connection variable is uniqe to MFC (uses socket for connection) so it is a different case.

I tryied the connection a global var in the plug-in and it didn't work either.

Any idea?

# 6 29-04-2004 , 03:53 PM
I'm sorry no I dont have any ideas. As I said I'm not familiar with the API user added image sorry

Alan

IMDB