Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 03-10-2006 , 04:50 AM

Game meshes

Hello everyone =)

I'm brand new to Maya. I tried a few other modelling programs but I prefer Maya over all the others. I'm working on a computer game, and want to use Maya to make the scenes and models.

I'm having a problem, however. Everything renders fine within Maya but then I export to .OBJ + .MTL file combination and load+render in my game and some strange things happen. The polygons aren't drawn in the correct order. See example: https://www.cybensoft.com/tower.jpg

Now my first thought was that it must be my code rendering incorrectly. However, this problem -only- occurs when using Maya to create the meshes.

And since I'm a noob to 3d modelling in general, especially Maya, I thought maybe there's some step I'm completely unaware of. So far, I've been creating polygon primitives, bending them to my will (:p), creating materials with textures and applying, and finally making sure the normals are pointing the right way.

Any ideas at all as to what I could be doing wrong would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

# 2 03-10-2006 , 06:04 AM
The Maya Mountain
do your textures have any alpha? It might be interpretting the alpha wrong

# 3 03-10-2006 , 06:36 AM
Subscriber
Have you checked that you r normals are all facing the correct way?

If you believe in telekinesis, raise my right hand.