Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 29-08-2007 , 07:33 PM
Subscriber

Russian Pre-Dreadnought Battleship on YouTube

I have finished a ship model I've been working on and decided to create an ocean to put it in! The animation is basically a pass-by. I added smoke from the stacks, of course, and I think it looks acceptable for a first try (though I'd like your opinion as well).

I already can see room for the following improvements. Firstly, I need to add a bit of reflectivity to the ship. Secondly, the wake needs tweaking, as does the ocean. Thirdly, I suppose I should figure out how to add a bow wave, and finally I need to figure out how to light it so the ship casts a better shadow on the ocean.

Of course, any and all comments are welcome! The link to my YouTube video collection is here:

https://www.youtube.com/LtJim

and the name of the video is "Russian Pre-Dreadnought Battleship". Here's a picture from the animation. Enjoy!

Attached Thumbnails

"Ad astra per aspera..."
# 2 03-09-2007 , 10:21 PM
Subscriber
I added a new animation of the ship. Needless to say it rather resembles the cheesy special effects one saw in 40s-50s war movies. You know, the obvious "model in a big bathtub" look!

Yes, it's easy to create an ocean but difficult to tame it! :-)

"Ad astra per aspera..."
# 3 03-09-2007 , 10:24 PM
hey jim looks good!

Maybe have a look in the Visor as theres a stormy sea type thing that used fluids as well as the ocean.

Maybe you could reverse engineer that to get some nice wakes above the waterleves as the ship passes over?

Just a thought.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 4 03-09-2007 , 10:50 PM
Subscriber
Thanks for the tip, gster! If I could get a bow wave and a nit of foam as the ship passes, that would solve three-fourths of the cheesy boat in the bathtub effect!

I'm leaving for a four-day job upstate. No internet, but I'm dragging the ol' desktop (a LOT of downtime in the evenings). I should have a lot of time to experiment with all of that!

Thanks again!

"Ad astra per aspera..."
# 5 03-09-2007 , 11:52 PM
yeah, it does look stuck in a bathtub. I think there's a 'scale' attribute in there somewhere, raising that should fix it (I think. the problem seems to me to be that, for their size, the waves are too 'smooth', and maybe move to quickly).
Additionally, at least in the picture, your particles for the smokestack look really big (like, those have to be the size of human heads.) I'd decrease the size of the particles, and either up the density, or change it to a multi-particle object (if you're using the default particles for smoke). Also, they move backwards too quickly - they should travel upward slightly before moving backwards.
Your battleship looks pretty good though, and I like the rust below the ports.

Book Wise

https://X4nd5r.deviantart.com
# 6 04-09-2007 , 04:52 AM
Subscriber
I know you're probably gone already but where upstate are you heading? Since you live in queens it seems anywhere outside of the city is upstate. Just curious, being from NY and all..