Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 15-03-2008 , 04:58 PM
Level 32 pachyderm

Ipod touch and the iphone

my mums thinking about buying an iphone or ipod touch
whats the diffrence?
she wants to go on the internet with it, but with the ipod touch ho w much would it cost and who does she pay

# 2 15-03-2008 , 05:04 PM
Jr.Who
The iPod Touch is basically an iPhone without the texting, phone, and camera.

# 3 15-03-2008 , 05:21 PM
Is the touch just wi fi enabled which would mean that you need to be able to access a wireless network (such as if you had a wireless network at home or where she works, or somewhere else, and has access to it by the admin of the wireless network) like WIFI on a laptop. If it is then you wont be able to access the internet unless your in a wi fi (and have permission) area.

The Iphone one the other hand I think just uses its GRPS or 3G netowork to access if theres no WIFI (or its not connected to a prefered one), which you then would pay the mobile provider, but you can use it pretty much anywhere you can get a signal.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 4 15-03-2008 , 05:59 PM
Senior Software Developer
There are a lot of people moaning about the iPhone. I would watch out and aviod getting one, especially since inthe UK its only being sold on one network provider (Someone call the Monoplies Commision).

I think its to do with the software (<cough>apple sucks</cough>), also as it is based on 3G or 4G (not sure), but it has got WiFi, and can be connected to your wireless systems at home or any free ones floating around, like BT Openthingy, it also allows internet access via the 3G/4G of the network priovider on your contract. The iTouch is also Wireless but I think its limited to accessing the iTunes Store only. I know Starbucks in the US/Canada give free Internet access to both and it connects to iTunes Store etc...

I would get an iTouch, but atm I would not waste my money on an iPhone.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 5 15-03-2008 , 06:17 PM
Level 32 pachyderm
someone told my mum the ipod tpouch has full internet capabitites just like the iphone, is this true?
I just found out she has no intention of buying the iphone

she origonaly wanted it just for music but now she wants internet as well
i wish shed make her mind up then this would be alot easier

# 6 15-03-2008 , 07:10 PM
Dunno mate, sure if you go into an apple shop thay will clear it up for you.

Yeah Chris, on the surface they look pretty cool, but its lacking a lot of things that you expect on a mobile nowadays, seemed a bit either not researched very well or rushed.

# 7 15-03-2008 , 07:23 PM
Level 32 pachyderm
sadly she wants one today and our nearest apple store is in manchester 1hour and 30mins away and she doesnt want a wasted trip just for that
I give in, ill let here make here own mind up

# 8 15-03-2008 , 07:28 PM
Doing a Google it does appear it has

BUT

You need a WIFI connection to use it, and access to that WIFI network, so unless you have one, or access to one you wont be able to use it.

# 9 15-03-2008 , 11:42 PM
Senior Software Developer

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 10 16-03-2008 , 12:11 AM
Level 32 pachyderm
ARGHHHHH!!!!!!!
now shes decided not to bother
thanx for all the help