Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 27-01-2011 , 11:07 AM

Maya Windows File corrupted on Mac

Hi everybody,

i created a Maya scene on a Windows Pc with Maya 2011. If I open it on a Mac with Maya 2011, too, parts of the animation are gone and materials are missing. I tried multiple files, so data loss on tansfer can be excluded.
I can't explain this phenomenon. Does anybody have experience on PC Mac exchange or can anybody explain that effect?
Thanks in advance!

# 2 22-06-2011 , 12:29 AM
Why don't you try saving in different formats? You mentioned different files, but formats?

Try .ma or even .fbx though I'm not sure it supports animation or other Maya attributes.

# 3 22-06-2011 , 11:17 AM
Subscriber
i'm going to guess it's something to do with the file paths. I have both pc and mac, but i only have maya on pc atm (my mac is only an entry level one so it can't do much)

i'm going to guess that when you say the materials are missing you mean the textures aren't on the model? You'd have to check the file path that the material is referring to is right.

I'm also guessing some of your animations are saved out as clips? it's likely again that the file paths aren't right

i'm not sure how to make the file paths relative to the project file but i think this issue has been bought up before with someone saying their textures are lost when brining one project over from one computer to another.

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 4 23-06-2011 , 07:09 AM
[QUOTE=Chirone;321037]my mac is only an entry level one so it can't do much[QUOTE]

Surely not, mac's are really powerful.

Just removed my tongue from my cheek.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 5 14-07-2011 , 12:04 PM
still i have the same problem ... is there any updated solution for this ?????