Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 07-02-2011 , 06:41 PM
rm3d

split polygon tool being tempermental

hey im wondering if any of you guys can tell me if there are parameters for using the split polygon tool, ive been using it all weekend and half the time it refuses to split the face along the line im making, meaning i have to create the line on a different part of the face and the then merge the vertices onto the original line. so yea any thoughts?? hope this makes sense.

the more I Think I know about Maya the less I seem to know about it.

check me out www.rm3d.co.uk
# 2 09-02-2011 , 07:37 AM
maybe you have the snap function enabled. go to SplitPolygon tool options and check if enabled, or set Snapping Tolerance manually.

thats the only issue exept for a bug I can think of right now.

everything starts and ends in the right place at the right time.
# 3 09-02-2011 , 11:25 AM
rm3d
no its the snap function, its just the fact if i am making a line over a set of faces, it will just refuse to split a face until i break the line i am making, then split the face in a different part drag the edge over and merge the vertices to the original line, then i can continue, very fustrating and can end up distorting my geometry

the more I Think I know about Maya the less I seem to know about it.

check me out www.rm3d.co.uk
# 4 09-02-2011 , 04:01 PM
sometimes with i try and cut across other lines it doesnt work and i have to select every intersecting line along the way. Is this like the problem you are having? If so i wish i knew the answer too.