Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 10-08-2004 , 11:36 PM

Dynamic fire

hello,

I have been using Maya PLE for a while now, and just bought Maya 3 Unlimited. I am making a rocket, but I need the fire to be dynamic. Plz consider in your response that Maya 3 has no premade Particles (Fire, Lightning, etc.). I need the rocket to shoot flames directly behind it for a short distance, but when the rocket turns left, I need the Fire trail ot turn left, not go in a straight direction the whole time.

Also, how would I make glass shatter?

# 2 11-08-2004 , 11:47 PM
Subscriber

Re: Dynamic fire

Originally posted by howdymr
Also, how would I make glass shatter?

I think I can help you get started on this one..

you make the object that will be shattered... then you duplicate it... and then split it into pieces (already shattered)... then you have to play w/ the visibility of the objects..

for example, you put both objects in the same place and turn off the visibility of the shttered one... then make an animation where the objects fall and as soon as the whole object hits the ground, switch the visibility of the 2 and now the shattered one has visibility and the whole one doesnt... and w/ the help of dynamics, active and passive ridgid bodies, the shattered one will fall apart... user added image

-Emo

# 3 04-09-2004 , 08:11 PM
Howdymr, howdy :p . I don't know what maya 3's capabilities are, but I think what you are looking for is just a normal cloud emitter. Select the back of the rocket (the faces, vertics or similair) and use the 'Emit from object' function. Use particle clouds if they are available, and add some ramps to the colour and transparancy until you get a rocket feeling user added image . Also, if there are turbulence fields, try to make one affect the particle clouds and select the (center of) the rocket to be the source. This way you can turbulence the flames a bit to the behind of the rocket. Same applies for newton fields, in case you want fast flames.. anyway experiment at will!

Also, if you want it to be short flames, just set the Lifespan to a (random) constant and again just try out what you feel is best user added image. Good luck!

PS: The turning should be nor problem, as the particles will automatically go to the opposite direction of the rocket, and if that's not enough try applying the newton field harder user added image :bandit: