Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 03-03-2004 , 09:12 AM

MEL within expression

Hi

I am working on particles with curve flow. In the runtime expr, I need to query the information about the curve 's tangent at the project point of the particle onto the curve. Then I used a MEL cmd "pointOnCurve" to get the info.

The prob is that this cmd is called for each particle every frame. In other word, when I have just abt 500 pats, the scene seem to hang oredi.

I tried an alternative: add an vectorArray attr (per-particle) and create a node using API to compute the tangent needed and connect to particle node. However, it seems that I can't connect from my node to the per-part attr.

Is there a way to speed up the evaluation of the cmd pointOnCurve??? (when i take out this cmd, the animation is damn much faster)

Any help is kindly appreciated